|Posting Title||Ordinary Seaman, Deckhand|
|Full Time / Part-Time||Full Time|
|Travel||No Travel Required|
|Description||ORDINARY SEAMAN (TYAFB-20-0445-W):|
Bowhead Marine Support Services seeks an entry level Ordinary Seaman/Wiper for shipboard positions at Tyndall Air Force Base, Tyndall , FL. The Ordinary Seaman / Wiper is the deck department utility man and performs a variety of tasks including:
• Cleaning, painting and assisting in a repair works at the engine department as well as to keep the vessel clean and conduct general maintenance.
• Stand lookout, scale and chip paint, paint, handle lines in the mooring of the ship, and assists in the actual tying up and letting go of the vessel.
• Assists in handling and operation of all deck gear such as topping cradling and housing of the booms and may assist in carpentry work.
The Ordinary Seaman assists the Able Bodied Seaman in the following:
• Scales, buffs, and paints decks and superstructure.
• Sweeps and washes deck; splices wire and rope.
• Breaks out, rigs, overhauls, and stows cargo-handling gear, stationary rigging, and running gear; secures cargo; launches and recovers boats.
• May rig and operate hydrographic and other specialty winches; handle and stow oceanographic explosives; and stage and stow beach support equipment.
• When assigned to watch duty, performs a variety of duties, including looking for obstructions in path of vessel, steering vessel, serving on security patrol, and standing gangway watch.
|Requirements||• Education: High School Diploma or equivalent is desired. |
• Current Merchant Mariners Document with the Ordinary Seaman/Wiper rating and a minimum of one (1) year experience.
• Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC) required.
• Must have a valid / current U.S. Passport.
Desired health and safety certifications include:
• Basic First Aid
• Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
• Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
SUPPLEMENT SKILLS INCLUDE:
• Communication skills including the ability to provide explanation of very complex or technical matters to people with little or no background experience in the subject matter.
• Writing skills necessary to communicate technical information.
• Strong interpersonal/team skills and the proven ability to often deal with situations where immediate low-level satisfactory resolution of issues must be achieved.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / ENVIRONMENT:
• Will be required to successfully pass a complete annual Merchant Mariners physical exam.
• All positions require necessary physical fitness to perform physically demanding shipboard duties.
The work environment varies and includes, but is not limited to; dock, port, bay, waterways, office space, equipment rooms, warehouse space, construction zones, and outdoor environments. Work hours may fluctuate outside of normal duty hours. While performing the duties of this job, the individual is:
• Regularly required to sit; use hands to handle, move, manipulate or feel objects; talk and/or hear.
• Frequently required to stand and/or walk and routinely required to reach with hands and arms.
• Routinely required to stand, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or squat.
• Frequently lifts and /or moves up to 50 pounds and occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 75 pounds.
• Occasionally lifts and/or moves 75-100 pounds with the assistance of others and/or with the use of heavy lifting equipment.
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED: Must currently have security clearance at the Secret level. Active Secret clearance is highly desired. US Citizenship is a requirement at this location.
Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening and/or random drug screen, and must follow UIC’s Non-DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing Program requirements. If the position requires, an applicant must pass a pre-employment criminal background history check. All post-secondary education listed on the applicant’s resume/application may be subject to verification.
Where driving may be required or where a rental car must be obtained for business travel purposes, applicants must have a valid driver license for this position and will be subject to verification. In addition, the applicant must pass an in-house, online, driving course to be authorized to drive for company purposes.
UIC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics EOE/AA/M/F/D/V. In furtherance, pursuant to The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act 43 U.S.C. Sec. 1601 et seq., and federal contractual requirements, UIC and its subsidiaries may legally grant certain preference in employment opportunities to UIC Shareholders and their Descendants, based on the provisions contained within The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.
All candidates must apply online at www.uicalaska.com, and submit a completed application for all positions they wish to be considered. Once the employment application has been completed and submitted, any changes to the application after submission may not be reviewed. Please contact a UIC HR Recruiter if you have made a significant change to your application. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), persons unable to complete an online application should contact UIC Human Resources for assistance (http://www.uicalaska.com/contact-us/human-resources/).
UIC Government Services (UICGS / Bowhead) provides innovative business solutions to federal and commercial customers in the areas of engineering, maintenance services, information technology, program support, logistics/base support, and procurement. Collectively, the fast-growing Bowhead Family of Companies offers a breadth of services which are performed with a focus on quality results. Headquartered in Springfield, VA, we are recognized as one of the top 25 8(a) companies for government contracting.
Link to Apply: