Charlie’s Produce is a privately owned wholesale produce company. We are the largest privately owned produce wholesaler on the West Coast, with distribution centers in Seattle, Spokane, Portland, Anchorage, Boise and Los Angeles.
The secret to our 40 years of success in this industry is our PEOPLE! We strive to hire the best and we reward them with a working environment that fosters loyalty, stability, innovation, and growth.
Charlie’s provides a generous employee stock ownership program, competitive Medical/Dental/Vision and Life Insurance plans, 401k, and our newest benefit is a fully Funded College Tuition to our employees and their dependent children!
Responsible for the procurement of produce and other specialty product lines in the Los Angeles division. Responsible for product order accuracy, stock levels, and managing the product line. Coordinates procurement & inventory activities with other buyers under the direction of the Purchasing Manager and GM to ensure a well-coordinated product line program offered to customers. Must be highly flexible to service needs and have an ability to work in a fast pace, closely configured work environment.
Knowledge, skills and abilities preferred:
- Knowledge of retail, wholesale and produce industries.
- Knowledge of product quality, market and growing conditions.
- Knowledge for providing good customer service. Experience in meeting quality standards, and customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of computer information systems preferred: Bosanova/Retalix and Sequel (training provided), Sequel/Dashboards, Doc link and AS 400. Must manage over 150 assigned commodities utilizing demand & inventory information systems.
- Knowledge of Transportation/Logistics to monitor the delivery of assigned commodities.
- Knowledge of USDA inspection process and billing.
- Strong Communication Skills: Must able to communicate with all levels of management internally and externally.
- Negotiation Skills: Must be able to negotiate competitive quality and pricing at all-times. Must solicit ad items and establish lid pricing.
- Forecast ad and regular item volume needs. Must maintain P.O. costing and track vendor performance. Perform daily price comparison.
- Critical Thinking Skills: Use of logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. Must be able to analyze operating report results to identify solutions.
- Must monitor commodity markets and derive forecasts.
- Adaptability/Flexibility, with the ability to react quickly to changing requirements from internal and external conditions while maintaining good communication with all parties involved.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to perform well under pressure and short deadlines.
- At least 5 years of FOB procurement experience in the wholesale produce industry in California market preferred
- Extensive product quality knowledge, organic commodities required.
- Strong Mathematical skills: Use basic arithmetic, algebra and statistics in daily computations and problem solving.
- Candidate must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient Computer Skills: Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel, And Power-Point, 10 key, AS 400
- Strong planning and organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Proven vendor relationship and negotiating skills, must possess tact, diplomacy and firmness in vendor negotiations.
- Ability to work flexible hours and days, holidays and weekends.
- Ability to stoop, kneel, and reach regularly.
- Ability to lift, push, pull up to 60 pounds
- Medical, vision and dental
- 401(k) w/Fidelity
- Free 20k life insurance policy
- Free employee stock
- 100% paid college tuition with American Public University
- Vacation, sick and holiday pay
Equal Opportunity Employer
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration and if necessary the Department of Homeland Security with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.