Middleton - Tuesday
Waunakee - Wednesday
Sun Prairie - Thursday/Friday
ESSENTIAL JOB RESULTS: To educate patients on the purpose of their treatment and keep patients informed of treatment progress and any changes in treatment that may occur. Enhance the daily operations of the back office by providing excellent service and communication to patients. An orthodontic assistant (OAS) gives the overall impression of the company as typically patients spend most of their time with them; therefore it is vitally important to set the tone with a positive attitude.
- Prepare, sterilize, disinfect, and maintain orthodontic instruments, supplies and equipment.
- Collect and record patient health histories and update HHx.
- Maintain patient management during orthodontic procedures to make sure the patient is comfortable (i.e. proper suction, using tools in a gentle manner).
- Properly transfer instruments to the doctor.
- Perform orthodontic procedure isolation techniques. Keep patients’ mouths dry and clear by using suction, retractors, or tongue saddle.
- Thorough charting of treatment information in the patients’ dental notes from the doctor.
- Teach patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health (i.e. tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling, etc.).
- Proficient with orthodontic software (Ortho II) for charting, treatment planning, clinical notes, etc.
- Responsible for keeping all teammates on schedule and being aware of the “big picture.”
- Maintain extra duties as needed. ;
- Expose dental diagnostic x-rays and take intra-oral camera pictures (as needed).
- Take Invisalign impressions.
- With doctor supervision, insert and adjust removable mouth appliances (i.e. retainers, bonded retainers, TPA’s, etc.) and fit molar bands adequately.
- Digitize cephalometrics.
- Surgical wire placement.
- Fitting/bending headgear.
- Assist with supply order.
- Crop and print patient photos.
- Post patient payments and print a receipt.
- Scan and copy x-rays.
- Print, mail and document oral surgeon referrals.
- Assist with TADS placement.
DENTAL INFECTION CONTROL PROCEDURES:
- Manage the dental office infection control plan to meet OSHA, CDC, andADAstandards.
- Instrument cleaning, sterilization/disinfection, and re-circulation.
- Disinfect dental operatory and sterilization, keeping things clear and organized.
DENTAL LABORATORY PROCEDURES:
- Pour impressions to make models and trim models.
- Fabricate mouth guards and essix retainers.
BUSINESS OFFICE PROCEDURES:
- Schedule and confirm patient appointments.
- Answer the phone, take messages, and chart when needed.
- Follow all forms of HIPPA and patient privacy for confidentiality.
- Greet patients and display a proper hand-off to the front office when checking out.
- Pull Lighthouse 360 confirmation list.
- Check financial when debanding (prior)
- Charge for the day office visit, retainers, etc.
PATIENT & COMMUNITY EDUCATION:
- Educate the patients on personal oral care instructions (removable appliances and elastic wear).
- Take part in community orthodontic presentations.
- Help to provide direct patient care in all dental specialties, including periodontics, TMJ, speech pathology, and oral surgery.
- Exemplify excellent patient service by answering their questions in a thorough manner and following up with the patient.
- Foster a positive attitude at work when interacting with staff and patients and be a team player.
- Practice First Choice Dental’s philosophy of 3-step communication.
- Perform work in an efficient manner and be timely with patient care.
- Provide a proper handoff to the doctor.
- Conduct re-care calls and help talk to patients about scheduling their next appointment.
- Be willing to help out at another site (on day off or when asked).
- Help with keeping the doctor and schedule running on time.
- Respect patient privacy by maintaining a professional tone and not discussing personal matters with other staff in front of a patient. The focus and conversation should always be centered around the patient. Keep level of voice controlled in order to not disturb other patients.
- Initiate ideas for ways the site can improve or become more efficient.
- Maintain effective organizational skills and a high attention to detail.
- Take the time to carefully explain information to patient’s in a non-technical manner.
* High School Diploma required
* Dental Assisting Diploma/Certificate preferred
* Requires a minimum of two years of recent dental assisting experience
* High proficiency with computers and electronic communication preferred
* Dentrix software preferred
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Strong interpersonal skills (making the patient feel welcome)
* Strong organizational and teamwork skills
* Ability to prioritize multiple requests efficiently
* Strong attention to detail and accuracy
* Effective written and verbal communication skills
* None required
* Prioritize duties
* Strong willingness to respond to patient questions/requests
* Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with doctors, patients, vendors, visitors, team members and the broader heath care community
* Demonstrates a commitment to service, organizational values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all time
* All employee records/conversations/benefit elections
* Business legal matters