Job Title: Outpatient Medical Coder
Department: Medical Coding
Reports To: Vice President of Operations
FLSA Status: Full Time/ Non Exempt
The outpatient medical coder will provide assistance with all related activities, including coding of facility charts or professional services. Electronic Medical Record navigation, coding guidelines,
ICD, CPT, Medical necessity, modifiers and denials as well as coder competencies, and audits of coded services.
Duties and responsibilities
• Assign ICD-10- CM/PCS and CPT codes with modifiers for services provided in the facility environment (Ancillary, ED, Evaluation and Management, Observations, Outpatient surgeries, and/ or Professional Fee Coding) depending on the specific client assignment.
• Review the medical record and all applicable documentation to determine the appropriate codes to assign for the services and diagnoses.
• Ensures diagnosis codes meet local and national medical necessity guidelines.
• Utilize coding resources along with any other applicable reference material available to ensure accuracy in coding for all of the assigned services.
• Follow all HIPAA regulations and uphold a higher standard around privacy requirements.
• Demonstrates the technical competence to use the facility encoder as it interfaces with the hospital mainframe and/or EMR in a remote setting.
• Demonstrates proficiency with Microsoft Office Applications in using required computer systems with minimal assistance.
• Review and resolves coding edits and denials. Assists with rebilling accounts when necessary.
• Maintain a working knowledge of various laws, regulations and industry guidance that impact compliant coding.
• Must meet all coder productivity and quality goals.
• Maintain a 95% accuracy rate.
• And other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
• High School Diploma or GED required.
• Associates or Bachelors in Health Information Preferred
• CCS, Certification Required
• Three to Five years of outpatient coding experience.
• Knowledge of ICD, CPT, HCPCS, Anatomy, Physiology, Medical Necessity, Modifiers, and Denials
• Must display sophisticated writing and interpersonal communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint.
• This job operates in a remote setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
• This position does not requires travel.
• Must be able to sit and/or stand for up to 8 hours a day.
• The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects.
• This position has no direct reports
*This company is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.