Colonna's Shipyard is looking to obtain experienced candidates to work within our Outside Machine Shop.
We are pleased to accept resumes for all class Outside Machinist seeking to work 2nd shift. Second Shift Hours are from 3:30pm- 12:00am.
This is a full-time position with competitive pay, based on experience, and immediate work within our headquarters in Norfolk, VA.
- Ability to apply basic machine shop math
- Demonstrates layout proficiency
- Disassembles various types of equipment and machinery common to maritime vessels and/or general industry including but not limited to pumps, valves, winches, gear boxes
- Assists in determining repairs and required to bring equipment to rebuilt status
- Proficient at setup and operation of drill presses
- Applies knowledge of materials including but not limited to bronze, brass, steel (mild and heat-treated), and stainless steels in fabrication and repairs
- Responsible for the application and care of all standard shop measuring and hand tools
- Properly cares for and safely uses hand and power tools and all company property
- Works with other crafts
- Overhaul, maintenance, testing of pumps, valves, turbines, condensers, shafts, rudders, winches
- Lays out passage holes on bulkheads, decks, and other surfaces for connections, such as shafting and steam lines
- Installs below deck auxiliaries, such as evaporators, stills, heaters, pumps, condensers, and boilers and connects them to steam pipe systems
- Remove, repair, modify or overhaul various types of marine shipboard equipment and system such as valves, pumps, hydraulics, turbines, reduction gears, generators, anchor windlass and steering gears
- Set up and operate portable machining tools and equipment
- Troubleshooting and repairing a variety of mechanical equipment may include ANSI pumps, various types of compressors, blowers, fans, gearboxes, extruders, mixers, agitators, and blenders
- Understand and act upon instruction
- Work independently to complete responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned
- Candidate must possess 3-5 or more years experience as a marine outside machinist.
- Dry dock experience on shafts, rudders, stabilizers, and propellers is preferred.
- Able to dissemble, repair, and install various types of equipment and machinery such as pumps, valves, winches, and gear boxes.
- Capable of reading and interpreting blueprints and schematic drawings.
- Must have own tools
- Ability to work at heights, in confined spaces and observe ships working protocol.
Compensation & Benefits
Position compensation is based on experience.
Our benefits include: • Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance• 401K, company match• Paid Time Off (PTO)• Legal Services• Annual performance evaluations • On-site Human Resources• On-site gym• Free and close proximity parking• Employee perks/gifts and more
All resumes are reviewed immediately for consideration.
Colonna’s Shipyard and our affiliates are pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE / M / F / DISABILITY / VET
These are our VALUES and the guidelines that make us a leader in our industry. We are pleased and confident in stating that our skilled employees are among the most respected experts in the ship repair industry.