Position Summary: Perform the feeding,medicating, and cleaning of the Best Friends - New York Pet Adoption Center pets, including neonatal and kittens, as well as oversee the health and well-being of the animals at the center during the overnight shift.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities include:
- Administer the evening and morning feedings for all animals at the Pet Adoption Center in accordance with established protocols, feeding times and schedules.
- Bottle feed and tube kittens (training will be provided.)
- With particular attention to the kittens, administer the evening and morning medicating of selected animals at the Best Friends - New York Pet Adoption Center.
- Clean in accordance with posted protocols to include, but not limited to:
- Off-leash areas
- Cat and Dog housing areas
- Kitten equipment as directed by the Vet Tech.
- Ensure the dogs/cats have comfortable bedding, that kennels and condos are free of feces and urine, and that all pets have fresh water and are safely secured in their areas by the protocol-designated time so the pets have uninterrupted rest-time.
- Wash cat and dog dishes daily according to protocol.
- Wash and dry blankets and linen daily throughout entire shift.
- Perform routine visual checks on all animals including all areas where animals are housed without disturbing them to allow them time to sleep.
- Recognize and initiate communication for any animal needing immediate medical care following established emergency protocols and instructions given.
- Assist with overall cleaning duties of the Adoption Center along with or in the absence of the janitorial company.
- Assist with updating data files on the animals in Pet Point and ensure appropriate documentation is also added to their folders. Maintain accurate, organized, up-to-date records for the animals which include inputting medical and behavioral information and ensuring animal records are complete and thorough.
- Assist with updating volunteer info in volunteer software.
- Respond to emails and after hours calls to Center and direct calls appropriately to staff members.
- Check phone messages and direct communications to appropriate staff members.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Ability to work overnight hours, independently, without direct supervision completing tasks and communicating status of population and tasks as required.
- 1 year previous experience working with cats and dogs highly preferred. Must be able to work with all cats and dogs, including those with health concerns/conditions as well as behavior conditions. Adoption experience also preferred.
- Resourceful, roll up the sleeves attitude. The successful candidate must have the initiative to resolve problems and seek answers independently and enthusiastically demonstrate flexibility to persist until goals are achieved.
- Knowledge of breeds, care giving, and characteristics of animals preferred.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands independently within time frames set forth.
- Ability to receive and complete nightly tasks and communicate issues, concerns and status of assignments with supervisor, in the absence of face to face communication.
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office, Internet, Google docs and mail and know or able to learn PetPoint shelter software.
- Ability to work nights.
- Ability to read English and perform basic calculations.
- Must be able to routinely lift 30 pounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including, but not limited to: lifting and carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, cleaning and bending.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Standing and walking for long periods of time.
- Long exposure on a daily basis to dogs of all temperaments, sizes and medical conditions.
- Ability to effectively interact with and handle all animals including cats and dogs.
- Effectively handle all species of animals with a variety of temperaments.
- Manual dexterity for keyboarding and computer work.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: includes weekends, over-night, and holiday work.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.