BJ's Wholesale Club was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar operation with more than 200 clubs in 17 states from Maine to Florida.
While our Members know us for helping them save up to 25% off grocery prices every day, our Team Members love us for providing a supportive and engaging workplace that’s committed to developing great talent.
If you’re a motivated and enthusiastic person who enjoys working collaboratively and is committed to providing great service for our Members, we want to hear from you. BJ’s offers a fast-paced, team environment with great training opportunities and competitive salary and benefits packages to help you succeed.
Responsible for club merchandising, ensuring merchandise is available for sale in proper quantities throughout the store, delivering a positive service experience to members, overseeing and directing the work of merchandise department team members, and acting as a key holder for the store and as the manager on duty.
The Specialist is responsible to function as the Manager on Duty (MOD) as assigned. While MOD, the Specialist has responsibility to manage the entire Club, including all Club departments, to ensure excellent Member engagement, to address any and all concerns brought to the MOD’s attention, and to escalate any concerns, as appropriate. The Specialist could be assigned as MOD 50% or more of the Specialist’s scheduled shifts.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities
- Collaborates with other Merchandise Specialists to develop effective and productive merchandising teams through selection, training, managing, evaluating performance, coaching, motivating, and disciplining, when necessary.
- Delivers a positive service experience to members.
- Communicates with managers regarding staffing levels and team member performance.
- Ensures merchandise is properly displayed and has appropriate signage. Ensures merchandise is available for sale in proper quantities throughout the store.
- Follows and executes company directives related to merchandising, resets, and sales initiatives within the allotted time. Ensure sales floor standards are maintained.
- Recommends merchandising changes to enhance sales.
- Operates a forklift in a safe and efficient manner. Inspects forklifts prior to use and follows established safety standards.
- Maintains all club policies and procedures. Ensures that all team members follow safety and sanitation guidelines. Validates steel and pallet safety walks, and addresses and communicates any identified safety concerns in a timely manner.
- Responsible for steel and pallet safety.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Forklift operator required.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Must successfully complete required training and certification processes.
- Must demonstrate leadership capabilities, including supervising cross-functional teams, training team members, and driving and communicating results.
- Prior forklift operating and merchandising experience preferred, but not required.
- High school diploma, college degree, and/or big box wholesale, retail, grocery and/or management experience is preferred.
- Open shift availability required.
Environmental Job Conditions
- Most of the time is spent standing and moving about continuously on hard surfaces. Frequent need to position oneself to examine and/or scan merchandise, as well as to bend, climb, crawl, kneel, push, pull, reach, move side to side, stoop, and climb ladders/step stools. Requires use of a pallet jack to pull and push pallets. Requires operating a forklift.
- Frequently requires lifting objects up to 30 pounds. May require lifting and moving heavy and/or awkward objects more than 30 pounds with assistance.
- Usually perform job in a comfortable environment surrounded by moving machinery and/or loud equipment that may require shouting in order to be heard. Occasional exposure to temperature extremes in freezer or cooler units. There may be occasional exposure to company approved chemicals and cleaning agents.
BJ's Wholesale Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.