Do you have a passion for identifying risks?
Are you a practical thinker who’s driven to help others?
This is your opportunity to give those passions and talents new purpose by applying them to meaningful work at The Hartford.
As a Property & Casualty Middle Market Underwriter at The Hartford, your primary role will be to underwrite and actively pursue new business pricing, servicing the needs of our brokerage partners on an account by account basis. The Property & Casualty Middle Market Underwriter will analyze the agency book on a quarter-to-quarter basis for potential action. In addition, you’ll coach and mentor staff on your team, providing support to junior underwriters.
The Hartford's Houston Regional Office team is seeking a highly skilled P&C Middle Market Underwriter, who is responsible for the following:
- Manages and Underwrites a Middle Market book of business (new and renewal)
- Analyzes agency book on quarter-to-quarter basis for potential action
- May or may not act with high levels of Underwriting Authority
- Coaches and mentors staff on team; supports junior underwriters
- Expertly applies all applicable Underwriting guidelines when making decisions
- Typically manages higher volume and/or higher Total Written Premium goal compared to country-wide standard
- Capable of underwriting highly complex business and will require limited support from senior underwriters and infrequent referral activity to complete quotes
- Has thorough knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and governance
Additional Responsibilities include:
• Typically manages higher volume and/or higher total written premium goal compared to country-wide standard.
• Creates, drives and executes on strategies for new and/or renewal accounts (prospective book management, executes on the mix strategy, low strategy, territorial and agency sales plans, etc.).
• Consults and provides solutions.
• Effectively provides excellent account management service of assigned division through strategic planning and operational excellence. Ensures the consistent delivery and execution of the Circle of Service process; tailoring a service plan for each client based on needs. Positively impacts and influences final account pricing and terms. Successfully sells the proposal.
• Responsible for, or influences, retention of business.
• Takes the lead in communicating strategy to the agency; coordinates communications across the enterprise; educates others on the strategy.
• Coaches and mentors others on agency management.
• Trusted adviser to agents and brokers; manages the book of business.
• Establishes and maintains pipeline.
• Manages cross-sell and up-sell opportunities across the team; generates cross-sell opportunities.
• Manages the sales process, including planning, operating routines and monitoring.
• Sources opportunities for other team members.
• Coaches and mentors others on sales practices.
• Is well versed about every aspect of The Hartford's value proposition to best position us for success. Is professionally demanding and holds internal and external customers accountable.
• Consults with agents to answer questions regarding coverage, explaining processes, directing the agents to appropriate resources within The Hartford based on their unique needs.
• Directs and coordinates identified service issues.
• Is highly familiar with how service operates.
• Makes recommendations to service; provides feedback to service leaders.
The Hartford is seeking a highly-proficient in P&C Carrier Middle Market Underwriter with preferably 7+ years of P&C Middle Market as well as the following qualifications:
• 7+ years of P&C carrier Middle Market Underwriting experience (or five+ years for a senior level underwriter).
• Capable of underwriting highly complex business and will require limited support from senior underwriters and infrequent referral activity to complete quotes.
• Thorough knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and governance.
• Superior technical knowledge and sound decision-making and analytical skills.
• Proven presentation abilities.
• Stellar sales and negotiation skills.
• Strong relationship building skills.
• BS/BA degree or equivalent in experience.
• CPCU or other related designation(s) attractive.
• Able to travel 20-30% within the broker assigned territory.
• Have a valid driver’s license, as a company pool car will be provided.
• Operate under the mindset of The Hartford’s Behaviors: Deliver Outcomes, Operate as a Team Player, Build Strong Partnerships and Strive for Excellence.
At The Hartford, our compensation philosophy is simple: we pay competitive base salaries and reward performance. In addition, you’ll be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including Medical, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance, a 401K Plan, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan and more. Position tier and level will be commensurate with experience.
Why Join The Hartford?
Visit our website to learn about The Hartford’s recognition. Information about the company and its product offerings is available at www.thehartford.com.
Don’t just apply for a job. Apply your passions.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
Job Middle Market UW
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Job Level:Individual Contributor
Education Level:Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Shift Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Overtime Status: Exempt
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Posting:Feb 15, 2019, 1:07:42 PM
Remote Worker Option:No