- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Package Engineering or similar degree.
- MBA or MS degrees are desirable
- Must be able to travel up to 20% of the time - Strong communication skills; successful candidate will work with co-workers in multiple functions and locations as well as outside vendors.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills
- Basic understanding of purchasing and supply chain mgmt.
- Ability to comply with existing/quickly adapt to new processes within the organization
- Able to work in a dual reporting matrix and in virtual teams
- Able to get buy-in and commitment from stakeholders
This position will have accountability for packaging development and supply ownership of $120 Million + in packaging spend. Reporting to the Purchasing Vice President, the Regional Manager for Packaging actively participates in the strategic sourcing activities for the America’s Region, with the goal of achieving significant initial cost reductions, while maintaining/improving product quality and vendor service levels.
Additionally the Regional Manager for Packaging is also responsible for current and new packaging development, driving packaging innovation, providing the business team guidance, and working cross functionally to ensure the effective use of packaging. The Regional Manager for Packaging will have direct responsibility for the corrugated, paperboard, aseptic carton, glass and plastic categories. The Regional Manager for Packaging has two direct reports, one full time Regional Packaging Buyer/Engineer, and one Packaging Co-Op student. Base responsibilities include:
- Supports category sourcing activities in the America’s Region
- Working with suppliers to create new packaging designs to reduce cost or increase market share for our customers
- Manage packaging commercialization’s to increase speed to market and improve packaging efficiency in the marketplace
- Work cross functionally to find and deliver packaging innovations
- Provides leadership and develops direct reports to create opportunities for advancement
- Analyzes market and delivery conditions to determine present and future material availability/price, and prepares market analysis reports.
- Oversees all activities related to procurement of a material, from intent to purchase through delivery of the material
- Monitors procurement reporting systems to meet company requirements.
- Vendor selection and negotiation process for regional vendors
- Recruits and maintains suppliers that provide high quality products and services at a better price while maintaining the highest code of ethics and conduct.
- Negotiates complex requests for materials.
- Works day-to-day with the other functions in the region on implementation of category sourcing initiatives
- Ensures categories are contracted in line with the sourcing strategy to avoid maverick buying
- Ensures master agreements are properly codified into local contracts for the region
- Prepares and issues purchase contracts and change notices.
- Prepares and reviews contracts, bids, proposals, and vendor agreements for legal correctness, price, and acceptability of items to specifications
- Develops and utilizes a system to evaluate vendor quotations with the appropriate negotiation and purchasing techniques to ensure quality, price, delivery, and service.
- Provides data from the America's Region to the Category Management team
- Directly solves operational issues with vendors
- Reviews and resolves vendor claims and contracts for conformance to company policy