Building a career at Granite may be the most valuable thing you could do...
Are you interested in the opportunity to work for an industry-leading company that will give you the experience and exposure you need to build your career and personal brand? If so, then you've come to the right place!
Since 1922, Granite Construction has continued its long standing commitment to building some of America's largest infrastructure projects including highways, bridges, dams, rail, and power. Recognized as one of the top 25 largest construction companies in the U.S., Granite specializes in complex infrastructure projects and provides award-winning construction services in mining, earthwork, water/sewer, power, tunneling, rail, highway and bridge construction. Granite also produces construction materials-sand, gravel, ready-mix, recycled asphalt product and asphalt concrete, and is a proven leader in alternative procurement project delivery.
At Granite, our employees are our most valued asset and we are passionate about retaining, developing, and recruiting the best talent available. Our employees reflect our core values: Honesty, Integrity, Fairness, Accountability, Consideration of Others, Pursuit of Excellence, Reliability Safety and Citizenship and we are continuously looking for individuals who possess a winning attitude and share our Core Values. In exchange, we help you build a career that no other company can duplicate. You will be part of a learning culture, where teamwork and collaboration are encouraged, excellence is rewarded, and diversity is respected and valued. Add our award winning safety program, ethics, reputation, and a commitment to continuous improvement and you'll see that we are building more than infrastructure—together, we are building your future.
This position is responsible for providing various support Legal Department attorneys to ensure the daily operations of the department is run efficiently.
Essential Job Accountabilities
- Assist attorneys in preparation litigation and transactional legal matters.
- Perform contract administrative/transactional tasks involving various contract types, including construction contracts, leases, licenses, teaming agreements, etc. and ancillary documents such as change orders, amendments.
- As tasked, investigate the factual evidence of a transaction or case.
- Perform legal research using company law library and Lexis and/or other search engines.
- Organize, track, and process files of important transactions or case documents including subpoenas, pleadings and discovery document to ensure they remain organized and current.
- Receive agent service of process on behalf of the company and distribute and manage responses companywide to ensure effective utilization of the company's systems and controls.
- Input and maintain all litigation and arbitration matters into legal database to ensure records are organized and database is up to date.
- Maintain subsidiaries and fictitious names to ensure the Company runs efficiently.
- As tasked, research and report to surety companies regarding position/status of insurance bond claims on company projects to ensure effective utilization of the company's systems and processes.
- Assist/manage corporation's entity list.
- Assist with new applications and updating of contractor licensing.
- Other legal/administrative duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree and/or a paralegal education preferred.
- JD a plus.
Minimum Work Experience
- Intermediate knowledge of in the areas of contracts and litigation.
- 5 + years' experience in a law firm or corporate legal department.
- Experience in implementing new products, services, and procedures.
- Knowledge of construction concepts, practices, terms, and procedures is a plus.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Advanced analytical, organization, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work independently.
- Advanced computer and technical knowledge.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously under tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent collaboration, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to break down problems into meaningful part and come to rational and well-though out conclusions.
- Interest in process improvement.
- Willingness to adapt quickly to quick changes in direction.
- Internally motivated to see out answers, generate ideas, and develop new skills.
- Ability to work well with all levels of staff as well as external customer.
About Granite Construction Incorporated
Granite Construction Incorporated is a member of the S&P 400 Index and is the parent company of Granite Construction Company, one of the nation's largest heavy civil contractors and construction materials producers. Granite Construction is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities and a Drug-Free Workplace. For additional information on applicant/employee rights please click here.
Notice to Staffing Agencies
Granite Construction, Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Granite") will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Granite, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Granite mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Granite employees, or to Granite's resume database will be considered Granite property. Granite will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Granite will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees. Agencies must obtain advance written approval from Granite's recruiting function to submit resumes, and then only in conjunction with a valid fully-executed contract for service and in response to a specific job opening. Granite will not pay a fee to any Agency that does not have such agreement in place. Agency agreements will only be valid if in writing and signed by Granite's Human Resources Representative or his/ her designee. No other Granite employee is authorized to bind Granite to any agreement regarding the placement of candidates by Agencies.