DHA HOUSING SOLUTIONS FOR NORTH TEXAS
JULY 15, 2020
JOB TITLE: PARALEGAL
SALARY RANGE: NEGOTIABLE
Summary: Under general supervision of the General Counsel, prepares and maintains legal papers, files and correspondence, prepares court documents, schedules board meetings and maintains minutes, and performs various duties in the Office of General Counsel.
Essential Job Functions: The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification. Shown are duties intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Assisting the Office of General Counsel in preparation for hearings and trials.
- Investigate and fact-finding for cases, preparing detailed case documentation, including, opening and closing cases, investigation summaries, activity logs and correspondence
- Performing legal research to identify relevant legal articles, laws and judicial decisions for cases and draft analysis.
- Assisting in preparing legal documents such as leases, motions, contracts and agreements.
- Organizing, indexing and tracking files.
- Analyzing and organizing information to produce reports.
- Monitoring and reviewing government regulations and informing General Counsel of necessary updates.
- Providing administrative support for outside counsel.
- Maintains litigation cases files, Board minutes, committee/subcommittee minutes, assigns litigation case numbers, and creates folders and logs on computer system.
- Assists and greets tenants, clients, visitors and DHA personnel. Answers the telephone and forwards calls to appropriate staff.
- Assists with lease enforcement and lease enforcement training, and various other legal proceedings and correspondence.
- Tracks active and inactive files.
- Manage complex transactions, particularly real estate, which includes developing, monitoring and updating checklists for real estate transactions.
- Maintain, organize and assemble electronic and hard copies of transaction and due diligence documents.
- Assist with discovery and witness preparation.
- Manage list of DHA entities, updating relevant information with Secretary of State as necessary.
- Interpret, clarify, explain and apply DHA policy and procedures, business practices, federal or state laws and regulations.
- Receive, research and response to incoming questions or complaints; provide information, explain policy and procedures and/or facilitate a resolution.
- Analyze, summarize and/or review data; report findings, interpret rules and/or make recommendations.
- Prepare documents and coordinate execution and delivery of documentation to other departments, counsel, government agencies, vendors, etc.
- Acts as a permanent member of the Grievance Panel or as the Hearing Officer in hearing public housing resident grievances.
- Investigates and coordinates Fair Housing Complaints received from City of Dallas and/or Department of Housing and Urban Development, when directed;
- Assists secretarial staff from other departments on various projects.
- Explains nature of DHA programs, procedures and services to clients; maintains absolute confidentiality of work-related issues, client records and DHA information.
- Supports the relationship between DHA and the constituent population by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with clients, visitors, and DHA staff.
- Enthusiastically promotes the President/CEO’s priorities for the operations of DHA.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of DHA policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles of record keeping and records management.
- Knowledge of legal principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of Texas civil and criminal law and judicial procedures.
- Knowledge of legal terminology and forms.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, arithmetic, punctuation and grammar.
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Strong organization skills with attention to detail and ability to accomplish multiple tasks within agreed upon timeframes through effective prioritization of details.
- Skill in data entry and preparing reports and complex forms.
- Skill in operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of business software.
- Skill in maintaining files and taking notes.
- Skill in maintaining confidentiality and dealing effectively with legal inquiries and problems.
- Skill in effective communication, both verbal and written.
- Skill in interacting with people of different social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds.
Must be able to lift/carry up to 10 pounds.
Bachelors’ degree in paralegal studies, knowledge of legal terminology, knowledge of Public Housing law, corporations, real estate, banking, secured transactions, maintaining legal files, and four (4) years of legal experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Open Until Filled
Explanation of Hiring Process
Thank you for your interest in job opportunities with the Dallas Housing Authority. All applications for open posted positions must be submitted via on-line at www.dhantx.com. No on-line applications will be accepted after the noted closing date on the announcement. We encourage you to visit our website often to view and apply for vacant positions with the agency.
DHA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all employees and applicants are treated equally without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.