We’re a Little Different
Our mission is clear. We bring to life a healing ministry through our compassionate care and exceptional service.
We don’t believe in jobs at Mercy, we believe in careers that match the unique gifts of unique individuals; careers that not only make the most of your skills and talents, but also your heart.
At Mercy, you’ll feel our supportive community every step of your day, especially the tough ones. We’re a team and love working that way. That team is expanding, and we currently have exceptional opportunities to help our communities grow.
Under the direction of the Medical Director and according to the protocols, procedures, and policies of Mercy’s EMS; performs direct patient care including assessment, evaluation, basic and advanced medical rescue to access, stabilize, evacuate, and transport a patient to an appropriate destination according to the goals of Mercy’s Health System, the philosophy of the Sisters of Mercy, Standard of Care, and Employee Code of Conduct. Paramedics also perform clerical and maintenance duties. Performs related duties as assigned. Performs duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with our mission, values, and Mercy Service Standards.
Each career at Mercy represents unique members of our caring ministry’s “body”, working together for the health and strength of the whole. To achieve our goals, we need all the parts functioning at their best and this requires the specific qualifications that you’ll bring with you:
- State of Missouri EMT-P for the State of practice
- Driver’s License, Class E, appropriate for the state of EMS licensure
- ACLS & PALS within 6 months of hire/transfer
- Hazmat Awareness Level Training within six months of hire/transfer
- Must be at least 19 years of age at time of hire
- May be required to work different shifts and schedules
- Must have unimpaired mobility and be able to respond quickly to ambulance, access patients in difficult terrain, climb stairs, work in close and dangerous environments such as damaged vehicles, carry equipment and patients with partner, perform strenuous physical requirements in various environmental conditions, and perform required medical skills and techniques.
- Must have correctable vision acceptable for day and night operation of emergency vehicle, color acuity adequate for determination of skin and blood color and be able to read medication dosages on drug labels and syringes.
- Must be able to hear and understand information provided by patients, family, or bystanders, hear breath sounds and accurately determine auscultated blood pressure, differentiate separate conversations in active, distracting environments, hear and understand radio traffic when responding with lights and sirens, speak and enunciate clearly and at a level audible to others in loud conditions, speak clearly in stressful situations, verbally communicate with patients, family, and other emergency services personnel.
- Equipment used includes mobile and portable communications equipment, monitor/defibrillator/pacer, approved stretcher, stair chair, backboard, scoop type device, variety of bags and kits, assigned ambulance, computer, FAX, printer, and other office related equipment.
- Incumbents will be required to successfully satisfy the physical demands of the role. This will include a pre-hire and annual fitness for duty test.
- High School Diploma/GED preferred
- ITLS or equivalent is preferred
- In areas where Tactical EMS (TEMS) services are provided, training in TEMS is preferred before allowing participation.
- Background in Emergency Services preferred
We’ll Support You at Work and Home
Our foundations are built on dignity and respect. Modern Healthcare Magazine named us as a “top 100 places to work.” We go out of our way to help people feel welcomed. We offer day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, tuition reimbursement and employer-matched retirement funds to benefit-eligible co-workers, including those working 48 hours or more per pay period!
What Makes a Good Match for Mercy
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us, along with exceptional quality care. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We’re also collaborative and are not afraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that’s just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a fit for you as well, we encourage you to apply.