Type of Opportunity: Full Time
Work Schedule: Varied Days and Hours
Performs advanced patient care within State approved scope of practice in pre-hospital, urgent care and emergency department settings. Receives emergency medical telephone calls, urgent care calls and to dispatch medical ambulance crews to designated PHS locations to provide emergency care to injured or ill patients.
CHAT LIVE with an Albuquerque Ambulance Paramedic recruiter every Thursday! Register now by clicking on this link:
* Participates in the provision of patient care based on setting and acuity of patient care needs. Ensures a safe, comfortable, therapeutic environment for patients and families. Organizes care in a manner that contributes to the overall quality of the team. For care in the pre-hospital setting, transportation to city hospitals is an element of patient care.
* Performs wound care and dressing changes. Prepares patients for surgery. Inserts and removes gastric and urethral tubes. Applies plaster and fiberglass splints, casts and traction devices. Performs bedside testing such as oximetry, ECG, Glucometery, urinalysis and other tests with demonstrated/documented competencies. Scrubs and sutures wounds under the direction of a Provider with demonstrated/documented competencies. Inserts and removes peripheral intravenous therapy lines within State Approved Scope of Practice. Performs phlebotomy.
* Administers medications contained in ordered Emergency Department Treatment Protocols and within State Approved Scope of Practice.
* Assists in cleaning and maintaining emergency supplies and equipment.
* Monitors patients and maintains records using patient monitoring system and electronic health records. Documents and maintains an informative and accurate medical record to initiate charges for each patient treated. Maintains proper functioning systems and reports malfunctions immediately per PHS procedure.
* Documents and reports any pertinent changes to the Nurse, Charge Nurse, and Provider. Provides patient report to other staff as necessary.
* Communicates and processes necessary paperwork/information for patient admissions, transfers and discharges.
* Participates in unit based Shared Governance activities and assists with the implementation of changes as recommended by councils.
* Performs other functions as directed.
* May observe patient cardiac monitors and maintains records. Documents and reports any pertinent rate or rhythm changes, especially life threatening dysrhythmias. Informs of any drug treatments as appropriate. Notifies the Nurse immediately of any death producing arrhythmias and documents findings.
* May receive emergent and non-emergent medical telephone calls from internal and external contacts, efficiently processing information to dispatch medical ambulance crews to designated ED locations to provide emergency care to injured or ill patients. Ensures equal distribution of arriving patients by team in the ED. Maintains accurate, legible dispatch records for the department.
* Makes transfer arrangements with appropriate EMS transport agency for ED patients needing to be transferred. Directs responding ambulance crews to the appropriate area of the ED for patient transfer.
* Maintains positive communications and collaboration with EMS service line, as well as other internal and external stakeholders.
AAS: Current NM drivers license is required (out of state candidates have 30 days from date of hire to obtain). Must be at least 18 years of age with a driving record insurable per PHS policy. Requires certification in defensive driving techniques. Bachelors degree (any field of study) AND 10 years of direct patient care Paramedic experience OR Masters degree (any field of study) AND 5 years of direct patient care Paramedic experience. Current NM Paramedic License required. National EMD License preferred. Ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions is required. 2-5 years of experience as a paramedic preferred. Current CPR and ACLS is required. Ability to type 20 wpm preferred. Current NM drivers license is required (out of state candidates have 30 days from date of hire to obtain). Must be at least 18 years of age with a driving record insurable per PHS policy. Requires certification in defensive driving techniques.
* Bachelor Degree
* Emerg Med Tech/Paramedic-NM
Competencies and skills:
* Medical Examiners /DOT certification
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in person and via telephone with members, employer groups, brokers, physicians, and physician office staff using strong dialogue and customer service competencies
* Ability to effectively interact with customers to understand their needs and explain data
* SKILL-Microsoft Office
* Planning and coordinating organizational change
* Anticipating & Addressing Customer Needs
* Functioning as an Effective Contingent Member
* Acquiring & Applying Superior Skills to achieve Quality Outcomes
* Functioning as an Effective Team Member
* SKILL-Written communication
Benefits are effective day-one (for .45 FTE and above) and include:
- Competitive salaries
- Full medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Free wellness programs
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Retirement plans, including matching employer contributions
- Continuing education and career development opportunities
- Life insurance and short/long term disability programs
Presbyterian Healthcare Services is a locally owned, not-for-profit healthcare system of nine hospitals, a statewide health plan and a growing multi-specialty medical group. Founded in New Mexico in 1908, it is the state's largest private employer with approximately 11,000 employees.
Presbyterian's story is really the story of the remarkable people who have chosen to work here. Starting with Reverend Cooper who began our journey in 1908, the hard work of thousands of physicians, employees, board members, and other volunteers brought Presbyterian from a tiny tuberculosis sanatorium to a statewide healthcare system, serving more than 700,000 New Mexicans.
We are part of New Mexico's history - and committed to its future. That is why we will continue to work just as hard and care just as deeply to serve New Mexico for years to come.
About New Mexico
New Mexico's unique blend of Spanish, Mexican and Native American influences contribute to a culturally rich lifestyle. Add in Albuquerque's International Balloon Fiesta, Los Alamos' nuclear scientists, Roswell's visitors from outer space, and Santa Fe's artists, and you get an eclectic mix of people, places and experiences that make this state great.
Cities in New Mexico are continually ranked among the nation's best places to work and live by Forbes magazine, Kiplinger's Personal Finance, and other corporate and government relocation managers like Worldwide ERC.
New Mexico offers endless recreational opportunities to explore, and enjoy an active lifestyle. Venture off the beaten path, challenge your body in the elements, or open yourself up to the expansive sky. From hiking, golfing and biking to skiing, snowboarding and boating, it's all available among our beautiful wonders of the west.
AA/EOE/VET/DISABLED. PHS is a drug-free and tobacco-free employer with smoke free campuses.