Parking Enforcement Officer
Arizona State University
Parking & Transit Service
$15.03 per hour
The Parking and Transit Services Department is seeking a Parking Enforcement Officer with a service oriented demeanor. The Parking Enforcement Officer patrols assigned parking areas to ensure public compliance with parking rules and regulations as set by the Arizona Board of Regents by issuing warnings, citations, direct verbal communication, impounding, and towing of vehicles. Parking Enforcement Officers interact with the public in situations that can range from answering routine university-related questions to addressing situations with irate customers.
This position is located at the Tempe Campus.
The work schedule is: Monday through Friday, 6:30am- 3:00pm. Summer hours may vary. Alternate hours may be necessary with advanced notice depending upon operational demands. Campus operations are open and staffed 24 hours, 7 days per week.
- Patrols assigned area and issues citations or warnings to vehicles including bicycles, in violation of university parking regulations
- Locates lost, stolen and counterfeit permits and takes necessary enforcement action
- Communicates with the public and at times encounters potentially stressful situations including argumentative and frustrated individuals
- Completes a daily log of activity and citations/warnings issued and submits the log to their supervisor at end of shift
- Checks assigned areas for damaged, missing, or malfunctioning equipment pertaining to parking function, and reports any problems to parking services office
- Checks a variety of enforcement lists for vehicles subject to citations and/or impoundment, followed by appropriate enforcement and/or impoundment action
- Assists public with services such as keys locked in a vehicle and battery jump-starts
- Performs general preventive maintenance on assigned vehicles and completes a vehicle inspection form
- Directs vehicles to proper parking areas and enforces parking restrictions for special or athletic events
- Installs vehicle immobilization devices and assist Lead PEO with vehicle relocations.
- Parking Enforcement Officers may be called upon to provide testimony and documentation of parking citations before an appeals board or state court.
- Assists with training new staff in field operations and equipment usage.
- May assist other areas with various assignments
- Provides directions or other information to sustain transportation and access solutions for ASU faculty, staff, students, and visitors
- Other duties as assigned
Six months parking lot operations or related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Employee must possess a valid US Driver’s license of the appropriate class and required endorsements throughout employment.
- Experience in a position that requires application of employer policies, rules and regulations, during the mediation of escalated and sometimes, sensitive, issues raised by a customer, coworker and/or another person(s)
- Previous law enforcement experience that can be gained from working as a police officer, probation officer, security
- Experience working in a position(s) requiring accurate documentation and/or attention to detail
- Demonstrated knowledge of: Microsoft Office applications including MS Word, Excel and Outlook
- Effective application of the English language, both verbally and writing, including the use of accurate grammar and spelling
- Experience with report writing to document daily activities
- Parking Industry Experience (1 year)
- Experience in a customer service position (6 months)
- Walks and stands for extensive periods of time
- Works in extreme weather conditions (hot, cold, rain, wind, dust, etc.)
- Uses a two-way radio
- Uses office equipment
- Regularly lifts up to 50 pounds
- Uses a computer
- Conducts analysis and prepares reports
- Uses math skills
- Uses office equipment
- Completes manual and electronic forms
- Drives an ASU vehicle, getting in and out of the vehicle
Parking and Transit Services (PTS) plays an integral role in support of the development of Arizona State University by managing the parking and commuter options on the four campuses. PTS operates numerous shuttle, bus, car-sharing, and carpool programs to provide sustainable transportation options to the campus community. These services assist ASU students, faculty, and staff in traveling to, around and between campuses. PTS employees work in a dynamic and rapidly expanding University department and enjoy the benefits, professional growth, and job satisfaction associated with working for this nationally recognized leader among public institutions and the model for the New American University.
A Valid U.S. driver’s license is required for this position; an MVR will be conducted
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf . You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
Applicant must provide three business related references; one current supervisor and two former supervisors; coworker will only be accepted if work history does not allow for three supervisors. Personal references are not accepted.
Applicant must provide a cover letter expressing interest in the position.
Applicant must be eligible to work in the United States; ASU Parking and Transit Services will not be a sponsor for this position.
To apply, please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs under Careers at ASU, click “External Staff” and enter ReqID#53116BR or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494#jobDetails=3839480_5494