Position Summary: The Team Leader, in addition to mastery of the Caregiver position, will assist in the coordination of workflow, control of work procedures, provide training and act as a liaison with management.
In addition, the Team Leader will be assigned supervision of caregivers working in the Parrot Garden when manager is not available. The Team Leader will also provide guidance regarding general care issues, as well as problem resolution promoting Best Friends' standard of animal care.
- With guidance from the Parrot Garden Manager, perform the following functions for team members:
- Monitor and document performance
- Participate in Annual Performance Review sessions
- Provide guidance and coaching to members of the staff on all aspects of their caregiving responsibilities.
- Participate in hiring and performance management decisions
- Disciplinary action up to verbal counseling
- Cultivate mentoring relationships with team members, viewed as point person for department in absence of manager.
- Work alongside caregivers and act as first point of contact for daily operational questions.
- Substitute for absent caregivers and perform tasks to include, but not limited to: preparing food (special diets closely followed), feeding, watering and administering medication at an advanced level. Socializing with animals, grooming, watching behavioral issues, feeding patterns, and creating a positive living environment. Maintain records.
- Provide guidance and oversee the cleaning of work areas and preserve physical appearance of parrot buildings and grounds to include, but not limited to: cleaning, raking, sweeping, dusting, mopping, trash removal, scrubbing, weeding, etc.
- Oversee training for new staff on all aspects of animal care and provide feedback on performance.
- Maintain records; conduct entry and retrieval of information for database systems (i.e. Shelterluv), clinic files, special diets, training performed, issues, etc.
- Work with and interact with volunteers and visitors to include, but not limited to: conducting tours, assigning work, answering questions, promoting Best Friends mission and assisting with their general needs.
- Participate in, and when manger is absent, run staff meetings.
- Understand parrot behavior and needs. Work with staff and management to provide an enriching, stress-free environment and implement care plans for individual birds to increase adoptability.
- Assist manager with adoptions process including but not limited to communication with the team regarding adoptions, responding to applications, completing an adoption, and follow-up.
- Cultivate good team building practices through good communication, sharing information, and working together to achieve goals.
- Lead by example.
- Knowledge of all parrot dynamics and placement of birds in flights or buildings.
- Assist with inventory control, maintenance reporting, etc.
- Provide support for, and participate in, lectures, presentations and outreach as needed.
- Other duties as needed.
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of one-year of experience at Best Friends or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations via BFAS Human Resources trainings or equivalent.
- The ideal person for this job would be a team player, positive, personable, upbeat and energetic who effectively uses tact and diplomacy in daily interactions.
- Demonstrate ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- The successful candidate would take initiative to resolve problems and seek answers. Independently and enthusiastically persist until goals are achieved.
- Ability to make sound judgments and work independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Knowledgeable of relevant species, care giving and characteristics of parrots.
- Proven communication skills with experience interacting with the general public.
- Professionally advocate Best Friends position on issues.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment with staff as well as volunteers.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office software. Experience with or ability to learn Shelterluv and ADP.
- Must have a valid driver's license with access to transportation to drive on behalf of organization business.
- Must be able to routinely lift 40 to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous manual labor.
- Must be able to work out of doors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 100 degrees.
- Must be able to handle all birds on the sanctuary.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, hike, walk, kneel and lift.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status or medical condition.