To be considered for this position, please follow this link and complete our Employee Assessment!
Prepares and serves meals according to cycle’s menu; monitors methods of food handling, preparation, meal service and equipment cleaning. The cook reports directly to the Dietary Manager.
- High School graduate or equivalent education is preferred. Preference is given to persons with education in quantity cooking and therapeutic diets. Minimum one (1) year food service experience in health care dietary setting is desired. Have general knowledge of quantity food preparation and portioned serving. Verbal and writing abilities necessary to communicate and work effectively with various levels of staff, residents, family members and the public.
- Numerical ability necessary to make various computations in keeping work records, and in recipe preparation.
- Motor coordination and manual dexterity are required to prepare food and operate dietary equipment.
- Willingness to perform routine, repetitive tasks with frequent interruptions. An appreciation of the value of food and dietary equipment and an awareness of the requirement for careful handling and economy of serving.
- Ability to read, understand, and follow recipe directions, diet orders and work assignments. Able and willing to work flexible hours, such as during an emergency situation. Must be patient and tolerate toward residents, family members and co-workers.
- Coordinate food preparation and meal service.
- Plan and initiate cooking schedule for food preparation to meet meal schedule.
- Prepare, season, cook and serve for assigned meal; ensure appropriate portioned servings according to portion control standards.
- Prepare nutritional snacks for clients as directed by Dietary Manager.
- Taste and smell prepared food to determine quality and palatability.
- Monitor temperature of hot and cold foods through food preparation and service to ensure that established temperature goals are met prior to steam table transfer and maintained throughout the meal service.
- In the absence of the Dietary Manager, checks and inspects food products and supplies as delivered. Supervise and assist in storage of supplies and food products.
- Determine amount and type of food and supplies as required for daily menus.
- Notify Dietary Manager of food, supplies or equipment needs, report equipment breakdowns and unsafe conditions to Dietary Manager.
- Clean equipment and work areas as assigned by the Dietary Manager.
- Be knowledgeable of Federal, State, and facility’s rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Attend in-service educational programs.
- Follow defined safety codes while performing all duties.
- Understand facility’s fire and disaster plans; follow established procedures during drills and actual emergencies.
- Follow facility Infection Control policy.
- Ensure that all residents are treated fairly, and with kindness, dignity and respect.
- Report all grievances and complaints made by the resident to the Dietary Manager.
- Maintains compliance with all HIPAA regulations.
- Ability to accept assigned duties in a cooperative manner.
- Ability to assume accountability for all data contained in the employee’s handbook.
- Perform other department duties assigned by the Dietary Manager.