City of Florissant is accepting applications for part-time Police Dispatcher.
- This position works rotating shifts, including weekends.
- Monitors telephone and radio in the dispatch center, answers all incoming calls and ascertains nature of call, gathers all necessary information to transmit or relay.
- Dispatches police and other response vehicles for emergency responses; broadcasts nature, location and time of incident; contacts all required personnel and other local concerns such as the fire department in the event of an emergency situation; insures the presence of reserve units by contacting personnel designated for call-back; relays information as required.
- Maintains log on radio and telephone communications, location of personnel and equipment; in the event of an emergency situation, maintains ongoing contact with the responding personnel and keeps them informed of all incoming pertinent information; keeps track of various information such as traffic lights out and streets closed and keeps emergency personnel informed.
- Maintains dispatch center work area and equipment in clean and working condition.
- Operates radios as needed and assists in radio communications; operates base radio as required.
- Operates listed tools and equipment as required.
- Composes, types and edits correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other material requiring judgement as to content, accuracy, and completeness.
- Inputs data to standard office and department forms, both manual and automated; makes simple postings to various reports; compiles and tabulates data.
- Maintains dispatch documents and records.
- Operates a switchboard.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent with specialized course work in general office practices such as typing, filing, accounting or bookkeeping.
- Must have REJIS computer training certification.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing; working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Some skill in operation of the listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to effectively meet and deal with the public; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to type.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Veteran