Lab Assistant- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
Job Code: 1259
Department: Emergency Medical Education
Division: Health Professions
Reports to: EMS Lab Coordinator
Positions Supervised: NA
Location: Main Campus
Kansas City Kansas Community College (KCKCC) is currently searching for part-time lab assistant provide instructional support to faculty in lab sessions. This is a continuous position. Application materials for this position are accepted on an on-going basis. As openings become available, candidates will be selected from this posting for review.
- Provide technical guidance in the performance of specific educational tasks in EMR, EMT courses
- Observe and document student performance of tasks assigned by the instructor(s), (i.e. patient assessment, fracture management, running scenarios and simulations)
- Ensure safety practices are followed by students
- Follow required safety procedures in handling of needles and waste products
- Monitor student use of college owned simulation mannequins and equipment used by students, report when equipment is malfunctioning, needing repair or replacement
- Enforcing all rules and regulations, per the program and college’s guidelines and other enforcement agencies that govern student practices of KCKCC
Perform other duties as assigned by the respective supervisor or director
- Set up and tear down practical skill stations
- Must be able to workday and evening classes and an occasional weekend day
- Work a minimum of 45 hours per semester to continue employment
- May consult with program faculty, staff and students
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications and/or Education
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Certification by the Kansas Board of EMS as an EMT
- Experience at their certification level in a clinical or field setting
- Knowledge of radio communications
- Working knowledge of EMS operations and ICS/IMS
Preferred Qualifications and/or Education
- Associate degree or higher degree
- National Registry Certification as an EMT
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, talk, hear, walk, sit, and occasionally push or lift items up to 100lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Employee is regularly required to talk or hear responses from students or faculty
2. Employee regularly is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands/fingers to handle or feel objects such as tools, keyboards, mannequins, etc., and reach with hands and arms to push or pull equipment
3. Employee must be able to life 100 pounds such as emergency bag, equipment mannequins or books
Work schedule will be part-time, maximum of 29 hours per week with an average of 10 hours per week. Must be able to work a variable schedule/hour to meet operational needs. May require evening and weekend hours.
Pay grade level: N/A
Compensation: $18.16 per hour
Employee category: Staff
Position Type: Part-Time
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
- As openings become available, candidates may be selected from this POOL of applicants.
- Read the job announcement carefully noting the initial screening date, minimum qualifications, and required information. Note that information contained in your application materials will be used to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Make sure you complete/submit all the documents listed as required.
- If the position lists a required transcript (during the application process) unofficial transcripts may be submitted. However, please note that upon selection for hire, you will be required to submit official transcripts.
- Ensure that your transcripts show that a degree was awarded or conferred if you are stating that it is your highest level of education completed. If you certify your level of education and it cannot be verified from your transcript(s), your application may not be referred to the selection committee.
- Foreign degrees are acceptable provided they have been translated and/or shown to have equivalency to a United States: Associate, Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate level degree.
- Documentation verifying completion of a degree, course work within a discipline, or other educational criteria should be electronically attached (uploaded) to your application.
- Three (3) professional references with phone number and email addresses are required.
- A college selection committee is responsible for application review and interviews. The final candidate(s) selected to be hired will be made by the hiring manager.
- Successful completion of a background check on all persons recommended for employment is required Individual hiring departments may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process.
***This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.