2020-21 School Year
Primary Purpose:Service, maintain, repair, and oversee mechanical parts in transportation support vehicles, school buses, white fleet and equipment. Perform major and minor mechanical repairs with minimal supervision to ensure proper performance and safety of district vehicles.
High school diploma or GED
Valid Texas Commercial Driver’s License Class B Preferred with P and S endorsements.
Minimum of two ASE Certifications Preferred (S, T, or H group)
Advanced knowledge of diesel and fuel engine maintenance and repair
Ability to use diagnostic equipment to diagnose mechanical problems and perform repairs
Ability to operate equipment and tools involved in vehicle repair
Knowledge of routine vehicular maintenance
Skilled in reading and interpreting technical information
Skilled in making mechanical adjustments and repairs
Ability to lift heavy equipment and vehicle parts
Ability to pass alcohol and drug test
Ability to pass required bus driver safety training and physical
Acceptable driving record
Ability to operate bus is preferred
Three to five years’ experience as diesel mechanic
Major Responsibilities and Duties:Maintenance and Repair
- Diagnose problems, repair and perform general maintenance of all equipment and vehicles including adjustment of engines, transmissions, differentials, hydraulics, and clutches on gas and diesel equipment; tune up engines, ignition parts, clean and adjust fuel distribution systems; perform minor body repair; respond to breakdowns.
- Check and repair electrical and cooling systems.
- Install heaters and similar accessories.
- ARC and MIG welding and perform minor body work.
- Estimate time and materials required to perform major repairs.
- Analyze engine performance and perform tune-ups as needed.
- Perform preventive maintenance and make inspections of vehicles for proper working order and safe operation.
- Maintain and monitor accurate, updated preventive maintenance records into ensure preventative maintenance is done in a timely manner.
- Maintain work records, time and material records on transportation equipment and vehicles; schedule vehicles and equipment for service.
- Prepare vehicles for state inspections; comply with all federal, state, county, and local regulations.
- Order, stock and maintain updated inventory of parts and supplies.
- Maintain clean shop area, equipment, and tools; maintain records on fuel storage tanks.
- Work with Director to recommend replacement of old/unusable vehicles and equipment
- Communicate with dealers to purchase, manage, and pick-up parts needed for repair
- Oversee pick-up/drop-off of vehicles to/from dealers for repairs
- Operate tools, equipment, and machinery according to prescribed safety procedures.
- Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties including lifting, climbing, etc.
- Oversee keeping shop, equipment, and tools in safe operating condition.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area and report any conditions that are not correctable to supervisor immediately.
- Evaluate actions necessary for recovery operations
- Assist with monitoring and directing work of mechanic assistants.
- Operate buses and vehicles as needed.
- Work irregular hours as needed.
- Maintain accurate records of time and materials required to perform repairs and service.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Participate in staff development, meetings, and special events as needed.
- Maintain punctuality in all areas.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Provide a positive role model for students.
- All other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Small hand tools, drill, drill press, grinder, air-powered tools, torch, jack, and lift equipment.
Working Conditions:Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Moderate walking, standing, climbing, heavy lifting, carrying, stooping, bending, kneeling, and reaching. Work outside and inside, around moving objects, vehicles, and machinery with moving parts. Exposure to dampness and humidity, toxic chemicals, exhaust fumes, gasoline, and diesel fuel. Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
Any special instructions as assigned by supervisor: