Seeking Pastry Chef, Full-Time, Holiday and Weekends required
Job Title: Pastry Chef
Position Summary: The Pastry Chef is responsible for preparing all desserts and baked goods to ensure a high quality culinary experience for our residents. This includes, but is not limited to, fresh bread, morning pastries, pizza, dough, cakes and pies. This position adheres to recipes and production specifications as outlined by the Culinary Service Director. The Pastry Chef scrutinizes all of the foods they prepare to ensure proper flavor, texture and consistency to guarantee established quality standards are met. This position reports to the Culinary Supervisor or Culinary Service Director and resides in the Culinary department. The Pastry Chef understands the importance of being creative, detail oriented, efficient and customer oriented in executing desserts. Their commitment leaves residents with the attitude that here at Waltonwood, we save the best for last.
Our Culinary Department provides nourishing and delicious meals that are served in a warm and inviting environment. The department operates with the knowledge that meals and food activities are a crucial part of every residents’ day. Delivering a memorable dining experience for our residents is our top priority.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Ensure proper presentation, food quality, portion control, and serving temperatures.
- Maintain sanitation, safety, and orderliness of all equipment, supplies, and utensils within work area.
- Display pastries and breads in a visually appealing manner in the café and other areas as assigned.
- Handle food items appropriately and with all safety regulations in mind during preparation and service.
- Interact with residents and resolve residents’ complaints in a friendly and customer-service oriented manner. Relay relevant concerns from residents directly to supervisors.
- Review and be familiar with residents’ dining restrictions.
- Calmly, efficiently, and accurately maintain production and service at peak hours.
- Assist with the completion of production records to include waste tracking, used and unused portions, product shortages, and inform supervisors when supplies are low.
- Assist with all other duties as assigned by Culinary Service Director.
At Waltonwood, we are all a part of a team who are here to serve the residents living in our communities. Our residents count on us every hour of every day. First and foremost, we expect our associates to have regular attendance; defined as being on time and present to all scheduled shifts, for the entire shift. Our associates need to value the importance of timeliness, punctuality, and dependability, and how the lack of these critical elements affects others in the workplace and the overall community operations. We expect all associates to be willing to lend a helping hand to co-workers, direct reports, and supervisors, whether it is one of their typical job responsibilities or not. This includes welcoming new associates and residents into the community, and making them feel at home. Associates need to keep the best interests of the residents and other associates in mind, and be an active participant in accomplishing team, community, and company goals.
- Customer Focused – Dedicated to meeting and exceeding the needs of the customer by establishing and maintaining effective relationships as well as gaining trust and respect of customers.
- Strong Communication Skills –Clearly and accurately provides pertinent information to individuals in verbal and/or written form. Able to accurately convey information in a way that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Patience – Works hard to understand people and process before making judgements and acting. Very tolerant and sensitive with people, and takes time to listen. Does not take shortcuts, follows established processes well.
- Detail Oriented – Pays attention to the smallest details in a situation, and truly cares about them. Understands the importance of all aspects of a given task, no matter how trivial they may seem. Values the importance of gathering all relevant information before making a decision.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a high volume pastry or bakery operation, preferrably as a Pastry Chef or Assistant Pastry Chef, creating desserts and baked goods from scratch.
- Working knowledge of confectionaries, cake design, chocolate arts and plated desserts.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Prefer an Associate Degree in Baking and/or Pastry Arts or similar educational background.
- Working knowledge of culinary etiquette.
- Knowledge of proper food service sanitation techniques.
- Understanding of baking fundamentals, culinary terminology, nutrition, sanitation and safety.
- ServSafe Certification preferred.
- Constant use of manual dexterity, auditory and visual skills and gross motor skills with frequent use of bi-manual dexterity and fine motor skills.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures.
- Ability to use the sense of smell and the sense of taste to recognize and distinguish odors and flavors.
- Associates in this role are occasionally exposed to hot water, garbage disposals and cleaning chemicals.
- While performing the duties of the job, the associate is occasionally exposed to heat/ cold
- Ability to reach, bend, twist, squat, kneel, push and pull.
- Ability to lift/carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to perform repetitive movements including simple grasping, pushing, pulling and fine manipulation.
- Occasional sitting, with constant walking and standing.