American Cruise Lines (ACL), the largest USA flagged cruise line in the United States, is looking to add multiple Pastry Cooks to our shipboard team as we gear up for our 2021 season. ACL only operates within the USA. We have no more than 200 passenger vessels that create a one of a kind small ship experience. With newly constructed vessels being added to our fleet, we are now accepting applications for our culinary positions for our 2021 season!
We make it a top priority to offer a first-class dining experience at every meal. Exceptional cuisine is prepared by chefs who have extensive culinary credentials and training from some of the most prestigious culinary institutes. Using only the freshest ingredients, menus are inspired by regional and local specialties.
The Pastry Cook should have Culinary Expertise and experience to make a wide variety of desserts as well as Baked Goods, including Confectionary Work. Must be able to understand and appreciate the subtleties of flavor pairings and different taste, and have a good aesthetic sense for food and pastry presentation. The position is responsible for adhering to the daily matrix consisting of Desserts, Tea Time, Pastries, Breads and other duties assigned by the Corporation and/or the galley Executive Chef. The Pastry Cook must be creative and continually researching and testing new and different dessert and baking recipes to ensure that each guest and crew have an exceptional dining experience.
- Oversees creativity and prepares all desserts, bread, pastries, cookies, etc. required for vessel each day.
- Set-up, maintain, and breaks down station according to FDA Standards.
- Taste all products produced to assess quality.
- Notifies Executive Chef of all product shortages and equipment maintenance issues.
- Prepares and serves items in accordance with established procedures, recipes, portion size and presentations standards.
- Maintains accurate counts on all food items prepared insuring no discrepancies in amount of food needed verses amount of food prepared.
- Schedules production of all baked goods to maintain an inventory of fresh baked goods at all times.
- Use food production equipment according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Clean and maintain station while practicing exceptional safety, sanitation and organizational skills.
- Maintains a professional appearance at all times.
- Ensure that each guest has a positive and memorable experience.
- Basic understanding of Professional Baking and Pastries.
- Must have problem solving abilities, be self-motivated and organized.
- Commitment to Quality Service, and food & beverage knowledge.
- An Associate’s Degree in Culinary Arts, Pastry & Baking and/or 3-5 years of experience with an emphasis on Quality Production.
- Ability to reach, bend, and frequently lift/move items up to 50 lbs.
- Be able to work in a standing position for extended amounts of time.
- Ability to Multi-task.
- Ability to work in a TEAM environment.
- Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure.
- Adapt and adjust on a daily basis as last minute requests or changes may occur.
- Ability to be on a work rotation of 6 to 8 weeks onboard followed by 1 to 2 weeks off.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test
- Complete criminal background check
About Our Company: American Cruise Lines operates the newest and largest fleet of cruise ships in the United States, 3 of which are on the Mississippi River. The America and the Queen of the Mississippi are modern paddlewheelers reminiscent of steamboats from a bygone era, while the American Song is a brand new riverboat with contemporary décor. We offer a number of shipboard positions which provide the opportunity to cruise the most captivating destinations in the country including the East Coast, Mississippi River, Pacific Northwest, and Alaska. Take advantage of this opportunity to join a thriving company with over 30 years of experience. Create lasting memories on board, while exploring the beauty of America’s waterways.
Due to the U.S. Coast Guard regulations we are only able to hire American citizens or those who hold a valid Green Card