Job SummaryRevenue Cycle-Patient Access
500 East 51st Street
Chicago, IL 60615
Reporting to the System Manager of Patient Access, monitors, evaluates and supervises the quality, appropriateness and daily functions of staff within the Patient Access Department of the Cook County Health & Hospitals System (CCHHS). Maintain the accounts receivable systems for optimum performance in tracking and collection accounts receivable. Promote quality review by initiating/participating in specific reviews/audits and assists with quality monitoring.
This position is exempt from Career Service under the CCHHS Personnel Rules.
- Supervises the daily functions of admitting, bed control, same day surgeries, centralized registration, pre-certification, and financial counseling staff within the constraints of the overall department strategy set forth by the CCHHS management of Patient Access.
- Conducts performance reviews based on set performance goals as established by the CCHHS Leadership of Patient Access.
- Assists in recruiting, interviewing, hiring, performance monitoring, retention, initiating/follow through with disciplinary action and termination of staff in consultation with Human Resources and the CCHHS Leadership of Patient Access.
- Mentors and develops current department staff and aides System Manager in management succession planning
- Assists with reviewing and approving of policies and procedures developed within the department
- Operationalizes new/revised policies and identifies gaps and concerns with new policies
- Develops and maintains the accounts receivable systems for optimum performance in tracking and collecting accounts receivable
- Utilizes system and ad hoc reports to identify opportunities for improvement in the Patient Access process
- Monitors vendor performance and recommends change when appropriate
- Remains abreast of compliance regulations, standards and directives regarding governmental/regulatory agencies and/or third-party payers
- Promotes quality review by initiating/participating in specific reviews and assists with quality monitoring.
- Collaborates with CCHHS Leadership of Patient Access to create executive level summary report
- Participates in organizational and departmental committees, as well as in special projects
- Performs other duties requested by Leadership of CCHHS Patient Access department.
General Administrative Responsibilities
- Reviews applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements and consult with Labor Relations to generate management proposals
- Participates in collective bargaining negotiations, caucus discussions and working meetings
- Documents, recommends and effectuates discipline at all levels
- Works closely with labor relations and/or labor counsel to effectuate and enforce applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Directs and effectuates CCHHS management policies and practices
- Accesses and proficiently navigates CCHHS records system to obtain and review information necessary to execute provisions of applicable collective bargaining agreements
- Contributes to the management of CCHHS staff and CCHHS’ systemic development and success
- Discusses and develop CCHHS system policy and procedure
- Consistently uses independent judgment to identify operational staffing issues and needs and performs the following functions as necessary: hires, transfers, suspends, layoffs, recalls, promotes, discharges, assigns, directs or disciplines employees pursuant to applicable Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Works with Labor Relations to discern past practice when necessary
- High School Diploma or GED(must provide proof at time of interview)
- Five (5) years of experience in a healthcare system billing departmentis required
- Three (3) years of experience in a supervisory or management capacity within a Patient Access Department in a large hospital systemis required
- Knowledge of hospital Patient Access practicesis required
- Knowledge of hospital specific Patient Access registration softwareis required
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suiteis required
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution with additional post graduate coursework in business or health administration
- Certified Health Financial Practitioner (CHFP) or Fellow of the Healthcare Financial Management Association (FHFMA)
- Seven (7) years of experience in a healthcare system billing department
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate with all levels of staff and a patient population composed of diverse cultures and age groups
- Excellent program development management, and leadership skills
- Strong customer service and empathy skills
- Demonstrates good computer and typing skills
- Demonstrate good phone and email etiquette skills with strong response times
- Demonstrate analytical and organizational, problem -solving, critical thinking, and conflict management/resolution skills
- Demonstrate attention to detail, accuracy and precision
- Ability to prioritize, plan, and organize projects and tasks
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast paced and stressful enviornment
- Ability to adhere to department policies and standards utilizing best practices
- Ability to function autonomously and as a team member in a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to train by presenting concepts and demonstrating tasks
- Ability to supervise Patient Access staff
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage
- Basic Term Life Insurance
- Pension Plan
- Deferred Compensation Program
- Paid Holidays, Vacation, and Sick Time
- You may also qualify for the Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
For further information on our excellent benefits package, please click on the following link:http://www.cookcountyrisk.com/
When applying for employment with the Cook County Health & Hospitals System, preference is given to honorably discharged Veterans who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States for not less than 6 months of continuous service
- To take advantage of this preference a Veteranmust:
- Meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
- Identify self as a Veteran on the employment application by answering yes to the question by answering yes to the question, “Are you a Military Veteran?”
- Attach a copy of theirDD 214, DD 215 or NGB 22(Notice of Separation at time of application filing.Please note:If you have multiple DD214s, 215s, or NGB 22S, Please submit the one with the latest date.Coast Guard must submit a certified copy of the military separation from either the Department of Transportation (Before 9/11)or the Department of Homeland Security (After 9/11).Discharge papers must list and Honorable Discharge Status. Discharge papers not listing an Honorable Discharge Status are not acceptable
A copy of avalid State ID Card or Driver’s Licensewhich identifies the holder of the ID as a Veteran, may also be attached to the application at time of filing.
If items are not attached, you will not be eligible for VeteranPreference
VETERANS MUST PROVIDE ORIGINAL APPLICABLE DISCHARGE PAPERS OR APPLICABLE STATE ID CARD OR DRIVER’S LICENSE AT TIME OF INTERVIEW.
MUST MEET ALL REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF APPLICATION FILING.
Degrees awarded outside of the United States with the exception of those awarded in one of the UnitedStates' territories and Canada must be credentialed by an approved U.S. credential evaluation service belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE). Original credentialing documents must be presented at time of interview.
COOK COUNTY HEALTH AND HOSPITAL SYSTEMSIS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER