Under the direct supervision and in collaboration with the registered nurse, assists in providing patient centered care. Will assist with vital signs, ADL, including hygiene, nutrition, rehabilitative/restorative care, and comfort. May also perform; routine ambulation, exercise and transfer activities, under the direction and collaboration with a registered nurse, physical or occupational therapist. Under the supervision of the registered nurse, provides clinical measurements (intake/output, weight) and vital signs. Collects specimens, provides transportation, and maintains equipment and supplies. Participates in maintaining a safe patient care environment. Is a key team member to identify, initiate and monitor continuous quality and process improvements. Is a key team member in the provision of an exceptional patient experience.
- Ensure patient care is delivered and the unit is maintained in accordance with professional regulatory standards.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate population as outlined in the job description and competencies.
- Demonstrates an understanding of proper patient positioning following patients’ specific surgery.
- Assists the registered nurse in placing patients in rooms, performing vital sign measurements and obtaining and properly labeling laboratory samples. Understands and follows identified precautions in weight bearing with ambulation.
- Demonstrates knowledge in use of equipment and devices pertinent to treatment, procedures and practices as instructed and under direct supervision of the registered nurse, Physical Therapist or an Occupational Therapist.
- Understands and follows identified precautions for patients after orthopedic surgery, i.e. spine, joint or fracture (as appropriate).
- Prepares charts, files patient information, breaks down cancelled or rescheduled patient files (as appropriate).
- Schedules and reminds patients of their pre-admission testing and education appointments (as appropriate).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
Required: High school diploma or equivalent. Preferred: Recent employment as a Nursing Assistant. Current BLS certification
Skills or Other Qualifications
Required: Demonstrates; effective communication, interpersonal skills, organizational ability, knowledge of proper body mechanics, safety measures and infection control. Ability to follow instructions, knowledge of section specific test information and instrumentation may be required.
Preferred: Computer skills, keyboarding at 45 WPM.
License and Certifications
Required: Current certification as a nursing assistant from the state of California. Or completion of first semester of RN program or equivalency.