Position Summary/Career Interest:
The Patient Care Assistant is an unlicensed staff member who is accountable to/completes delegated tasks from the RN in a caring and culturally sensitive manner with excellent customer service at all timesResponsibilities:
- Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
- Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and duties and may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Provides basic nursing skills, including but not limited to: Vital signs and pulse oximetry; finger stick blood glucose; ADL’s; recording intake and output; collecting urine, stool, sputum specimens; apply/remove compression hose; SCDs etc.; emptying drains, urinary catheters, NG tubes, and ostomies; additional skills to meet unit needs.
- Documents in O2 all tasks, I&O, percentage of meals eaten, etc. Maintains a neat, clutter free and clean patient room and work environment.
- Maintains a safe patient environment to include High Fall Risk interventions as appropriate for high fall risk patients. This can include but not limited to: hourly rounds; answering call lights in person, promptly for all patients on the unit. Demonstrates proper hand hygiene, standard precautions, and isolation principles. Care for the patient in restraints, including ROM and fluids/toileting; reorienting confused patients; reinforcement of patient/family education regarding fall and safety precautions.
- Promptly notifies the RN of change in vital signs from baseline or expected result, change in mental status or condition, any breakdown in skin integrity or redness of skin, patient report of pain, any other patient needs, concerns or issues. Must complete other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- BLS Certification
- Certified Nursing Assistant Certification, Medical Assistant diploma, or documentation of Fundamentals of Nursing course with KU required basic skills (required at time of hire); Completion of the KU Gold Standard Acute Care School within 6 months of hire
- Minimum of 18 months in a specialty tech position or completion of the Gold Standard Intern Program with University of Kansas Health System can be substituted for certifications listed above