Hennepin Healthcare is an integrated system of care that includes HCMC, a nationally recognized Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center and acute care hospital. The comprehensive healthcare system includes a 484 bed academic medical center, a large outpatient Clinic & Specialty Center, and a network of primary and specialty care clinics in Minneapolis and in suburban communities. Hennepin Healthcare has a large psychiatric program, home care and hospice, and operates a research institute, innovation center and philanthropic foundation.
We are currently seeking a Patient Safety Coordinator to join our PM&I team. This ideal candidate will have a patient facing clinical background. This full time role will work days.
The position will work with the Sentinel Event process and Adverse Healthcare Events by conducting root cause analysis, assisting in development of corrective action plans and monitoring those to completion. This position will submit AHE into the patient registry and complete the appropriate/requested follow up. This role is responsible for reviewing, analyzing and identifying practice and system issues, specifically those that have patient safety and or risk implications. The Patient Safety Coordinator will serve as a consultant bringing the Patient Safety perspective to various committees and quality or patient safety projects. They may provide education about quality, performance improvement and patient safety principles and process as needed.
- Coordinates all functions related to event management
- Escalates for further discussion any significant event
- Retrieves event data and/or prepares reports and presents event data
- Conducts root cause analysis or system reviews
- Completes the required state and federal reporting process
- Supports managers and/or directors in the completion of action plans from reviews and reports progress/completion to leaders
- Serves as a member on and actively participates in several committees within the hospital, bringing the patient safety perspective and data as needed
- Maintains, within the PM & I department, central, confidential files of events and investigations
- Provides education about patient safety, quality and performance improvement process as needed with individuals or groups
- Participates in proactive risk reduction activities like Failure Mode Effects Analysis
- Maintains an understanding of The Joint Commission standards, other regulatory standards and quality industry standards regarding healthcare performance improvement and patient safety
- Provides data as needed regarding regulatory standards
- Collaborates with Patient Experience staff to respond to patient complaints and support service recovery
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three (3) years of hospital experience in a patient care related area such as Nursing, Dietetics, OT/PT, Respiratory Therapy, or Pharmacy
- An approved equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in medical record review and knowledge of data systems desirable
- Possess organizational, analytical, verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of patient safety tools in the health care environment, science of human factors, Just Culture, and other patient safety principles and general performance improvement methodologies
- Ability to deal professionally, appropriately and effectively with very sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to support a non-punitive environment that encourages reporting and develops an open voluntary reporting culture
- Ability to collaborate and to facilitate collaboration with groups in problem solving, consensus building and initiating action in a respectful, timely manner
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin Healthcare for your employment. We offer a wealth of opportunities for individuals who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to both current and prospective employees. We are driven to connect talented individuals with life-changing career opportunities, enabling you to provide exceptional care without exception. Thank you for considering Hennepin Healthcare as a future employer.
Please Note: Offers of employment from Hennepin Healthcare are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background checks and pre-employment requirements.