Position Location: Captain James A Lovell, Federal Health Center, IL
Synensys offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long-term disability plans, paid time off, 10 paid company holidays and a 401(k) with company match.
Synensys is a veteran-owned small business providing consulting, learning, and analytical services to healthcare organizations to improve patient safety, team performance, and other key organizational performance outcomes. Our team is multi-disciplinary, representing extensive experience in medicine, nursing, management, instructional design, customer service, engineering, and information technology.
We havepartnered with over 500 healthcare organizations in 14 countries including government, military health, public and private hospitals, clinics, and office-based practices.
As a Synensys employed contractor to the government, the Patient Safety Specialist (PSS) will assist and advise the Government with the establishment and operation of the Navy Medicine Patient Safety Program (PSP) at the MTF level and work closely with Military Treatment Facility (MTF) leadership tofoster and promote a data-driven culture of safety. You will identify, recommend, and aid in the implementation ofprocess improvements that facilitate safer care. You willcollaborateclosely with the Patient Safety Manager, Quality Manager (QM), and Risk Manager (RM). You will be responsible for the coordination of Root Cause Analyses (RCAs), Proactive Risk Assessments (PRAs), and other patient-safety initiatives brought about by the event reporting andproactive risk assessment functions.
Other duties may include but are not limited to:
- Review and monitor the PSP policies/practices including implementation of all applicable National Patient Safety Goals, DoD Patient Safety Culture Survey results, Navy PS Culture and Change Plan measures, Sentinel Event and FMEA corrective actions and The Joint Commission (TJC) survey findings of all areas for adherence to, and compliance with BUMED, regulatory agency and accreditation standards requirements.
- Prepare the MTF for internal and external reviews by conducting tracers and making rounds on the different units and clinics.
- Conduct daily, weekly or monthly evaluations of the implementation of facility-wide PSP activities, policies, and procedures to ensure overall effectiveness using approved methodologies to include tracers and direct observations.
- Coordinate activities for use at the MTF during the annual National Patient Safety Week.
- Ensure patient safety event reports are entered and processed in the DoD PSR tool
- Provide education and training on patient safety topics within the MTF and the Branch Health Clinics.
- Participate in TeamSTEPPS training and/or provide teaching materials to the education department or the master trainers.
- Prepare a monthly report for each MTF/clinic summarizing the activities of the PSP for the designated committees.
- US citizen
- Possess a baccalaureate degree in Nursing or another healthcare-related field.
- Possess a minimum of three years of experience working in a risk management, patient safety, or quality improvement department in a clinical setting within the last three years.
- Basic skills in Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent written and oral communications skills including previous public speaking/training facilitation
- Experience with patient safety aspects of healthcare accreditation (TJC or AAAHC) is preferable
- Experience with Composite Health Care System (CHCS), Armed Forces Longitudinal Technology Application, Essentris or other health record systems preferable
- Experience with Root Cause Analysis, Proactive Risk Assessment Tools and TapRooT methodologies and software preferable
- Some travel is required
All candidates that are extended a job interview for this position will be asked to take an online computer skills assessment in Excel and PowerPoint. Synensys conducts background checks and a pre-employment drug test on all candidates who receive a written offer of employment.
Synensys is committed to providing its employees with a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination on the basis of any legally protected status including race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, citizenship, disability, protected veterans or other status protected by law.