Join the #1 hospital in Wisconsin!
We are seeking a Patient Scheduling Specialist to:
- Perform duties to facilitate and coordinate scheduling of non-surgical procedures.
- Be responsible for highly variable scheduling work typically due to scheduling in a Specialty Care Environment.
- Complete multi-disciplinary scheduling – comprehensive clinics with more than one billing provider in which multiple providers across multiple disciplines require scheduling for the same date of service for a patient.
Minimum - High school diploma or equivalent.
Preferred - Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Healthcare, or other related field.
Minimum – One (1) year of previous experience working in an office or customer service environment.
Preferred – Previous experience working in healthcare,experience scheduling patients, and experience coordinating multiple activities in an office setting.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent verbal, listening and written communication skills.
- Ability to operate a computer.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology preferred.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to think independently and demonstrate good problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment and to collaborate with a variety of individuals in a positive manner.
Scheduling at UW Health is undergoing a redesign to better serve our patients. As part of this redesign our scheduling positions are changing as well! Scheduling positions at UW Health will eventually fall into 3 types of positions:
- Appointment Center positions – these schedulers help patients over the phone and will be able to help patients with multiple types of appointments
- On-site check-in/check-out staff – these schedulers help patients in person in the clinics, and also place outbound phone calls between helping patients in-clinic
- On-site Appointment Center positions – these schedulers are located on site at the clinic, but primarily do phone-based work. While doing phone-based work they will sit at a desk that is not patient-facing, but will come to the check-in/check-out desks to help patients in person when the check-in/check-out scheduler is away from desk (i.e. breaks, lunches, etc.)
If you are hired into a department that has already gone through the redesign process you will be hired into one of these positions. However, if you are hired into a department that has not yet undergone the redesign process, it is likely that the scope of your role and/or the location you report to may change once your area goes through redesign.
Sedentary: Ability to lift up to 10 pounds maximum and occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as dockets, ledgers and small tools. Although a sedentary job is defined as one, which involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and other sedentary criteria are met.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
UW Health is committed to being a diverse, equitable, inclusive and ant-racist workplace and is an Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Our integrity shines through in patient care interactions and our daily work practices as we work to embrace the knowledge, unique perspectives and qualities each employee and faculty member brings to work each day. Applications from Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) individuals, women, and LGBTQ+ and non-binary identities are strongly encouraged. EOE, including disability/vets.
50% FTE, 20 hours per week. Scheduled shifts are 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. Hours may vary based on the operational needs of the department.
UW Health Clinics - our physicians and staff are dedicated to providing an exceptional patient and family experience by delivering the highest quality of care in a compassionate environment. With more than 80 primary and specialty care clinics located throughout Dane County and the surrounding areas, we are proud to have the opportunity to impact the communities we serve.