Scope: The Payroll Administrator in support of payroll processing for the company computes and disburses wages and salaries for employees with appropriate deductions for taxes and other withholdings through the automated payroll system. Posts payroll data and prepares routine reports. Executes payments to government agencies, insurance companies and other entities through the automated payroll system. Calculates and processes special manual checks while reviewing, editing and making corrections or adjustments as needed through the automated payroll system.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Processing salaried and hourly payroll for multiple locations; Sorting and distributing live payroll checks.
- Correspond with and works closely with managers to ensure all employees’ records are received in a timely manner.
- Inputs hours worked with exceptions into the payroll system while reviewing & editing entries.
- Verify accuracy of personnel data used for payroll processing, i.e., names, rates of pay, state/local taxation and changes in job codes & wage rates.
- Process IBP/EICP Bonuses, or other bonuses as appropriate, when approved by senior management.
- Balance data from time and attendance interface system.
- Maintenance of employee master file payroll information.
- Maintaining attendance database accruals and balances.
- Processing garnishments, child support and tax related reports.
- Responsible for computation of pay according to company policy.
- Responsible for compliance with state regulations for terminations pay.
- Entry of pay card data for new employees; provided assistance with transfer of funds for lost cards; reset access, etc.
- Updating and maintaining W-4 taxing information.
- Transmission of direct deposit by positive pay files to clearing house for the banks.
- Verifying data entry of new hires, terminations and various status changes.
- Payroll auditing to check for accuracy and overall balancing with reconciliation of payments made.
- Assist with year-end closing requirements working with Finance or other EFW departments.
- Stays current with changing IRS or state tax requirements and federal payroll laws.
- Responsible to interpret and administer company policy and Government regulations relating to processing payroll.
- Execution of scheduled and special reports by payroll cycle(s) which include weekly reports and check requests for garnishments, union dues, and charities.
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Requesting accurate information from supervisor and managers regarding pay.
- Initial review of payroll related invoices.
- Implementation of a garnishment or tax levy when received by EFW.
Outside Business Relationships:
- HRIS System representatives and agents.
- Banking contacts for payroll deposits.
- External auditors.
Education (Highest Level Required/Preferred)
R = Required P = Preferred E = Equivalent Experience May Satisfy Requirement
Master q R q P q E (10+ years management experience may substitute)
Bachelor q R XX P q E (5-10 years functional experience may substitute)
Associate q R q P
High School q R
Specific Degree Field, only if required: ______________ .
Training Pre-requisites (Within One Year of Taking Position):
XX Safety Training, as dictated by Safety Department
q Other: ______________________________________________________________ .
Preferred: APA Certification
Experience Required Years
Functional (Using Skill Set) q Entry q 1-3 XX 3-5 q 5-10 q 10+
Management q Entry q 1-3 q 3-5 q 5-10 q 10+
Industry – Multi-state payroll q Entry XX 1-3 q 3-5 q 5-10 q 10+
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required (Unique and Measurable)
- Previous payroll experience with large volume multi-state payroll.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic PC knowledge with understanding of MS Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to determine if calculations are reasonable and verify accuracy.
- Ability to implement sound audit procedures and control features.
- Have mindset of continuous improvement for all tasks performed.
FLSA Status: XX Exempt q Non-Exempt
Security Clearance Required: q Confidential, q Secret, q Top Secret; Other: ____________ .
Job Status: XX Fulltime q Part-time
Purpose for creating this description: q Verify duties for recruitment
XX Create new position - changed
q Request reclassification
XX Document current job
Any unique working conditions or physical demands in this job?:
Standard office with computer usage while sitting.