SOSi is currently seeking an experienced Payroll Compensation Technician in Charleston, SC to support Global Compensation’s Common pool that provides compensation services to U.S. Foreign Service employees, Department of State Civil Service employees and Locally Employed (LE) staff. They provide both American and LE Staff payroll services for U.S. Agencies Overseas and Annuity services for Foreign Service Retirees and whose primary responsibilities are T&A reporting (bi-monthly), pay calculation, individual leave accounts, allotments of pay, and other individual pay matters for those paid under local compensation plans at serviced-posts.
- Responsible for accuracy of calculating and processing Time and Attendance into various proprietary financial systems, ensuring timeliness and accuracy of information. This includes working accounts by organization or country code by processing a variety of transactions which affect pay, leave, taxes, benefits, and other deductions.
- Receive, research, analyze, and process pay actions under the Common Actions such as, but not limited to: Accounting Updates, Awards, COLA (Cost of Living Allowance), Donated Leave, E&L Statements, General Inquiry – Common/Historical, INWS (In Non-Working Status), Leave Adjustments, Overpayment & Underpayment - Common, PCS Renewal/Other, Restored Leave Adjustment, Return of Donated Leave, Salary Adjustment, Service Computation Date Adjustment, Supplemental- Common, T&A Processing & Manual Submission, Year-to-Date Adjustment (YTDA) – Common.
- As needed, the following Common Monitoring measures may be required: T&A Adjustment Monitoring, eAwards Letters, Employees Not Paid Report, SCALP Report, Negative Annual Sick Leave Report, Annual Leave Forfeiture, Automated Adjustment Report, T&A Correction Errors by Org Code and Calculations Exception.
- Verifies the validity of personnel actions and personal service contracts/agreements prepared by serviced Embassies, rejecting those who are not properly completed or in accord with existing personnel law, regulation and advises post personnel offices of the deficiencies and corrections needed to affect the action.
- Answers questions from employees regarding payroll matters.
- Audits, analyzes and reconciles reports or accounts, and as necessary, makes adjustments which are largely retroactive in nature.
- Perform manual calculations when deemed necessary to verify year-to-date adjustments and corrections when the calculations cannot be performed through the automated payroll system, CAPPS and or other financial systems as required.
- Research, correct and determine the cause of erroneous payments and timely clearing of domestic and overseas T&A rejects.
- Calculating overpayments made due to system deficiencies, preparing proposed repayments schedules, communications those proposals to the employees and entering the collections in accordance with the debt collections of the Federal Government.
- Prepares reports on various aspects of the payroll cycle, as requested by DoS.
- Performs other payroll duties as assigned.
- Secret clearance or ability to obtain Interim Secret clearance
- Four-year degree from an accredited university or college in accounting or a related field such as computer science or business administration.
- One year of experience with mainframe, web based or client-server technologies.
- Personnel shall possess superior multi-tasking, customer service, analytical, organizational, oral and written communication skills.
- Perform analysis and apply critical thinking to work independently within a team and efficiently answer customer questions
Requires experience with computer-based applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, and database management systems.
- MS Excel and MS Word experience at an intermediate level is required.
- Prefer experience with CAPPS (Consolidated American Personnel & Payroll System), Report.web, Employee Express, Microsoft Office Suite, GFS Knowledge Base, Remedy Case Management, Document Imaging Software (DIS) & various websites of government agencies (Employee Express, IRS, TSP. Office of Personnel Mgmt)
- Fluency in a foreign language is desirable, but not required.
- Working conditions are normal for an office environment.
- Fast paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- The workday is 8-hour and 45-minutes including a 45-minute non-compensated lunch
- Core hours are from 9am-3pm
SOSi is an equal employment opportunity employer and affirmative action employer. All interested individuals will receive consideration and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or protected veteran status. SOSi takes affirmative action in support of its policy to advance diversity and inclusion of individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.