The Payroll Manager is the strategic and functional leader of payroll services and payroll administration for all the Corovan entities and locations. This person is not only responsible for content but also manages the payroll team, interfaces with Human Resources to collaborate on issues, and interfaces with operations managers with questions around time keeping and pay. This person also is responsible for providing timely, courteous and responsive service to managers and employees about payroll related questions.
This person also manages day to day payroll operations, and is the lead to Ultipro payroll services about our payroll interactions, timing, check printing and related payroll items. The payroll manager is responsible for understand the Ultipro payroll system, for integrating new system software effectively into Corovan work processes, and suggesting improvements to allow payroll processes to work more efficiently.
The payroll manager is responsible for monitoring all tasks necessary to accomplish the organization’s payroll processing objectives, including relationships with external auditors and state and federal agencies. The majority of the employee’s time is spent planning, coordinating and managing the functions of the payroll department. The Payroll Manager reports directly to the Controller. He/she manages payroll preparation and input of wage and deduction calculations; reviews payroll and tax reports, prepares journal entries, organizes and reviews forms associated with federal, state and local authorities, such as W2's.
This is a full-time position, with a minimum expectation of 40 hours per week. The working hours are flexible and employees might be required to work late evenings or weekend depending on the business needs. Some travel may be required to Orange County and the Bay area.
- Implements, maintains, and reviews payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- This person helps direct the payroll team, provides development, coaches, brings leadership to the team, and interfaces with leaders and employees of other management functions, such as accounting, human resources, and operations.
- Interfaces with Ultipro payroll print services and payroll services to understand configuration of the system, to optimize configuration of our system, and to understand how upcoming releases will affect performance.
- While timekeeping is still in Kronos, this person is also responsible to ensure that the Kronos feeds and interfacing correctly with the Ultipro feeds, so that payroll is accurate.
- Facilitates audits by providing records and documentation to auditors including the annual Workers compensation and 401 K audits for the three companies.
- Manages the day-to-day processing of all employees’ payroll, ensuring semi-monthly and month-end payrolls are completed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Oversees the bi-weekly payrolls for Klinger Moving Company and Employers’ Leasing Company. Reviews and signs off on their payroll before transmittal.
- Creates Commission Reports and is responsible for paying commission using reports to determine amounts owed against monthly draws.
- Manages the w/c and wage garnishments associated with the three payrolls.
- Responsible for the 401K reporting and transmissions as the 401 K plan administrator. Coordinates timely transfer of data to external contacts for services.
- Prepare manual checks as necessary.
- Work with the interfaces to ensure the systems are working and hours are being imported correctly. Researches and resolves all errors.
- Creates, manages and approves various prevailing calculations. Completes full audits and approves the certified payroll reports.
- Manage and monitor the payroll function (including tax and systems administration) to ensure control procedures have been established and are being followed. In performing this overall function, these areas must be completed correctly:
- Processing involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments; Update file specifications (401k, FSA, HAS, HDP, Workers Compensation).
- Interviews, hires and trains new staff in the department.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Maintain complete understanding of all federal/state wage and hour laws related to TMA payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes.
- Audit W-4s, payroll balance sheets, quarterly filings, YTD earnings, etc…
- Establish corrective action processes to identify and address deficiencies and report regularly the status and progress of improvement initiatives.
- Establish procedures and ensure that all financial postings, reconciliations and adjustments are accurately completed in a timely manner. Document and update procedures.
- Ensure all regulatory requirements are monitored and are being met.
- Regularly monitor the payroll system processes, ensuring that system dependencies and interactions are operating as designed.
- Handle (or assist Finance with, as required) journal entry preparation, reconciliation and analysis for Payroll, bonus accruals, employee benefit accruals, PTO, and year end benefit true up.
- Ensure that all record keeping meets organization and legal requirements.
- Identifies and recommends updates to payroll processing software, systems, and procedures.
- Assist in month-end close procedures.
- Prepare reports for senior management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in accounting, finance, or a related field (or equivalent experience and training) with at least five years related experience, preferably in a service industry.
- 5 years of experience working in similar role of payroll/accounting/taxation.
- 1 year UltiPro Payroll software experience
- Intermediate experience with an integrated payroll/HRIS system such as Ultipro, or Kronos in particular time and attendance and payroll calculation modules.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
- The successful candidate must have excellent computer skills, including advanced Excel knowledge and proficiency in other Microsoft Office applications.
- Familiarity with all IRS and applicable state and local tax reporting and filings.
- Ability to reconcile Payroll module output to the General Ledger with no other assistance.
- Experience in auditing payroll policies and practices to ensure appropriate accounting treatment, and compliance with HR policies, law, and regulation.
- Ability to reconcile all treasury aspects.
- Demonstrate a high level of customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent time management, organizational, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and meet time sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent team work and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Familiarity with Great Plains software is a plus.
- Experience with process improvement teams is a plus.
Pay & Benefits
- Competitive wage based on experience
- Flexible work schedule
- Retirement savings plan with company match
- Paid Sick Leave
- Employee Referral Bonus & Contest Reward Program
- Health insurance, Dental insurance, Vision insurance and Voluntary Supplemental Insurance eligibility is evaluated regularly. Eligibility is based on hours worked. Employee must maintain a consistent average work schedule of 30+ hours per week.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Individuals are required to be able to sit or stand for long periods as needed throughout the day. May require walking primarily on a level surface, but may include walking on uneven or inclined surfaces for lengthy periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents. May include minimal bending and reaching throughout the day.
Upon offer, the Company conducts a comprehensive pre-employment background check and drug test.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Since 1948, Corovan has set the pace in corporate relocation, facilities support, and storage services. Corovan offers the industry’s most comprehensive suite of commercial moving, storage, furniture, logistics, and tech relocation services for businesses of all sizes and industries. We are proud to have the most experienced and dedicated team to engineer the workplace change while ensuring professional, timely and cost-efficient services. With locations in San Leandro, San Jose, Fullerton and San Diego, we offer local businesses the most comprehensive suite of commercial moving, modular furniture moving and installation, warehousing, distribution, logistics, and technology services. We work with varied and interesting work environments with some of the most dynamic companies in the world.
Our values include growth, continual improvement, and offer our employees training in a variety of fields. We have a culture of rewarding employees who do a great job and are good for Corovan. We look at our core staff for career advancement opportunities, with opportunities for advancement to installer, technician, driver, foreman, supervisor, project management, customer service and other support roles. Corovan offers competitive wages and benefits.
The Company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Corovan is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer - veterans/individuals with disabilities, committed to workplace diversity.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
See job description