|Title||Payroll Specialist I|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Description||GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION|
Responsible for calculating and processing payroll payments for new hires, transfers, and terminating employees. Processes salary changes, retroactive pay, timecard adjustments, direct deposit requests, and tax elections. The Payroll Specialist I will work under supervision, but must be able to carry out tasks independently. He/she must make sure that employee wages are processed in a timely manner, so the ability to adhere to time constraints is essential.
The Payroll Specialist I will communicate directly with employees, managers, and other departments within the company. Strong communication skills are required. All payroll activity is required to have supporting documentation that meets internal and external audit requirements. Therefore, strong record-keeping skills are required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Set-up and process payroll payments for terminating employees. This duty is performed daily.
2. Process timecard adjustments and corrections. This duty is performed daily.
3. Process direct deposit and tax election changes. This duty is performed daily.
4. Process salary changes, including calculating and issuing retroactive pay, as necessary. This duty is performed daily.
5. Assist employees and managers with the Payroll and Human Resources Information System. This duty is performed daily.
6. Respond to payroll related employee questions. This duty is performed daily.
7. Assemble supporting documentation for all payroll entries in accordance with Internal and External Audit requirements. This duty is performed daily.
8. Assist with various audits, projects, reorganizations, acquisitions, and conversions. This duty is performed as needed.
9. Must adhere to payroll processing deadlines.
10. Review similar work processed by co-worker(s) for accuracy and compliance.
11. Set-up and process payroll payments for new hires. This duty is performed daily.
12. Obtain and process direct deposit and tax election information. This duty is performed daily.
13. Set-up and process payroll payments for transfers. This duty is performed daily.
14. Completes required BSA/AML training and other compliance training as assigned. This duty is performed as needed.
15. The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
16. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school or GED, plus specialized schooling and/or on the job education in a specific skill area; e.g. data processing, clerical/administrative, equipment operation, etc, plus 2 years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions in person-to-person and small group situations with customers, clients, general public and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to prepare and interpret bar graphs.
CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of known variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram formats.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
PREFERRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
SOFTWARE SKILLS REQUIRED
Intermediate: 10-Key, Contact Management, Human Resources Systems, Payroll Systems, Spreadsheet, Word Processing/Typing
Somewhat disagreeable working conditions. Continuously exposed to one or two elements such as noise, intermittent standing, walking; and occasional pushing, carrying, or lifting.
The following work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
Highly repetitive, low physical. Highly repetitive type of work which requires concentration in the performance of tasks for consistent time cycles as prescribed by the tasks.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision; color vision; peripheral vision; and depth perception.
Must be organized and have excellent time management skills. Must communicate well with others verbally and in writing.