Portables is seeking an experienced payroll assistant with a preferred finance or accounting background. This position sits at our corporate office and requires dedication and attention to detail. The ideal candidate will have hands on experience performing all activities necessary to process payroll, including maintain related records, filing tax reports and voluntary deduction reports, processing involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments, preparing accounting transactions and documents, documenting and updating procedures, and preparing special reports for management. Incumbent is solely responsible for all payroll related activities. This position works closely under the direction and supervision of the Chief Financial Officer in order to carry out all necessary financial management and fiscal control policies and activities for administration.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures timely processing of all staff payroll in accordance with labor regulations and standard accounting principles. Develops systems and protocols to direct the collection, calculation and entering of pay data.
- Works with Information Technology, Human Resources and other contacts (including third-party vendors) to ensure security protocols are in place for all pay systems.
- Maintains updated procedure manual for payroll processing and assists in training of other staff on the payroll system (ADP) in a "super-user" role, to troubleshoot general user questions or basic technical issues.
- Keeps abreast of current payroll tax requirements and relevant laws associated with the processing of employee wage data, including payroll taxes, employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and other required reporting (SUI, workers compensation, deferred benefits, etc).
- Advises management on pay practices related to FLSA, fringe benefit reporting, W-9 and W-4 recording.
- Processes fiscal year-end reports and reconciles W-2 information for accuracy. Reports errors in payroll accounting to the proper management representative. Documents any discrepancies in payroll processing to maintain a clear record of reconciliation and adjustments.
- Works with the Human Resources department to coordinate employee leaves of absence under FMLA, CFRA or other unpaid leaves. When requested, keeps accurate records of employee unemployment and disability insurance payments to ensure no overlap in state benefits and wage payments occur.
- Help processes wage garnishments, pay levies, and other involuntary court-ordered payments in a timely manner, including reporting to the necessary State office or jurisdiction and assisting employees with general process questions.
- Works with current pay vendor (ADP) for technical issues with time-reporting systems (handpunch) and resolves any discrepancies resulting from glitches or malfunction of the time reporting hardware.
- Assists staff with general questions related to payroll, leave accruals, wage deductions, fringe benefits, and other pay related issues.
- Attends workshops, online trainings and seminars to gain greater systems knowledge (ADP). Provides updated protocols and procedures to system users based on trainings.
- Help conducts regular payroll reporting as required and assists with financial audits related to pay records and associated general ledger.
- Supports the annual budgeting process by working closely with CFO, HR Manager, and Management in analysis of payroll costs by department / cost center.
- Performs data entry related to bi-weekly payroll processing, and accounts payables relating to payment of Fringe Benefits.
- Performs filing and upkeep of employee payroll records.
- Generates computer report of payroll activities for the Chief Financial Officer.
- Assists Accountant in clinic operations accounts data input and report writing.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Chief Financial Officer.
- Master payroll and timekeeping systems
- Audit various payroll data entry (timecards, pay rates, overtime, deductions, etc)
- Run regular payroll audits to catch any discrepancies in timecards
- Resolve payroll discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information
- Reconcile payroll prior to transmission and validate confirmed reports
- Process manual checks as necessary with approval from supervisor
- Must be a self-starter and able to accomplish expected tasks under minimal supervision; Ability to multi-task and maintain composure under pressure.
- Knowledge of general bookkeeping, accounting and filing procedures/practices, modern office methods and related equipment.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills with proven understanding of payroll systems. Experience with ADP Required!
- Training and/or experience with computer data entry and ability to type a minimum of 45 WPM. Ability to operate a 10 key calculator by touch.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the importance of confidentiality and non-disclosure according to the general standards set forth by HIPAA
- Must have the ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy and tact; excellent customer services and interpersonal communication skills; Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work with diverse people groups.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate degree or minimum 1 year of accounting experience or minimum one year of college level accounting courses and 2 years of hands on accounting.
- Minimum 2 years of payroll administration as the primary. Will consider a payroll assistant background with 3 years and demonstrated increased responsibility.
- Must have experience processing payroll within the ADP platform. Prefer candidates with Workforce Now experience. Applicants without ADP payroll processing experience will not be considered.