Work Shift: DAY/EVENING
Work Week: Part Time Mon: 9am - 5:30pm Wed: 3pm - 11:30pmHouston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, located at the intersection of TX 242 and I-45 includes a 150,000-square-foot medical building. The Medical Office Building 1 includes a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center & Infusion Center, Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, Wellness Services, Outpatient Laboratory and Therapy, in addition to multi-specialty physician practices.
Responsible for the efficient operation and use of the switchboard and paging system to receive and relay calls or messages to the requested party or hospital area. Assists patients, physicians and staff with general information, monitors all hospital alarm systems and serves as a vital link in the communication process during emergencies and codes. Strives to make the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of those served top priority. Delivers excellent customer service in a manner consistent with our ICARE Values. Maintains positive interaction with co-workers and other department personnel. Uses resources efficiently to ensure quality.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
Provides personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 25%
- Responds to incoming calls in a timely manner and directs caller to appropriate destination providing a smooth, clear and professionally courteous communication practice.
- Maintains and updates department databases for call processing and paging, as well as locator information for physicians, management, department employees and on-call personnel.
- Demonstrates the components of the I CARE values statement (Integrity, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence).
SERVICE - 25%
- Responds quickly and accurately to disaster and emergency situations as required. Announces HMTW emergencies through the overhead paging system and facilitates communication during emergencies.
- Communicates pertinent information to co-workers to ensure proper handling and processing of calls when away from the operator position.
- Supports an environment of respect and dignity to those served. Communicates openly in a non-judgmental and professional demeanor during all interactions with coworkers.
- Demonstrates ServicePRIDE Standards (smiles and makes eye contact; greets each patient and visitor; seeks out patient and visitor contact; displays appropriate body language at all times; takes 5 minutes each day to go above and beyond for one patient or visitor; honors diversity; thanks every customer).
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Maintains correct department phone roster for WHH. Primary accountability for insuring this information is posted on the Hospital’s intranet web site.
- Protects patient/coworker confidentiality and privacy.
- Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace.
FINANCE - 0%
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 25%
- Effectively utilizes telecommunications hardware and software including problem or failure diagnosis techniques.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
High school diploma or equivalent.
1 year of PBX operator experience, preferably in a health care setting.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Good memory skills and ability to work under stress are required.
- Experience working with Computers to access data
· Data entry skills necessary to complete internal memorandums.
· Public relations skills necessary to communicate effectively with the public in a courteous, professional and helpful manner.
· Must be organized and attentive to detail and maintain confidentiality
· Excellent communication skills required, Bilingual is a plus
· Excessive sitting, speaking and hands-on work with equipment in a small confined work area.
· Heavy phone usage.
· Significant public contact.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist The Woodlands will be the eighth in the Houston Methodist system, offering The Woodlands community a full-service, acute care hospital with many of the same services as our flagship hospital in the Texas Medical Center. The $380 million campus will feature a new 187-bed, 470,000-square-foot facility.