The Optical Society is recruiting for a PC/LAN Administrator. The PC/LAN Administrator provides technical support to end-users for hardware and software needs; responds to questions/problems of staff. Manages and administers network user accounts and provides orientation to new users. Installs and maintains information technology hardware and software, including Windows PCs, Macs, servers, copiers, printers, and audio-visual equipment. Manages and maintains an accurate inventory of software applications and desktop systems hardware. This job also requires some lifting of equipment (35-50 lbs.). There is no telecommuting option for this position.
- Works independently to resolve PC/LAN administrative tasks including but not limited to help desk work orders, backup systems, and inventory.
- Monitors and responds to OSA Staff IT requests and provides routine support and assistance, including handling software and hardware questions, issues or problems. Directs inquires to appropriate resource if not able to resolve issue or problem. Keeps customers informed about status of problem resolution efforts.
- Provides IT/AV equipment administration, setup, and support for onsite and offsite OSA conferences and meetings as directed.
- Administers user accounts within Microsoft Active Directory and Microsoft Exchange for users on network and phone system.
- Coordinates and conducts new user orientations on software applications and telephone/voice mail systems.
- Manages and maintains desktop software inventories, including licensing and prepares reports.
- Provides computer configuration and setup of operating system, services, and applications for workstations and laptops, including administering baseline software configurations for each department.
- Administers Microsoft security updates for workstations and laptops using current patch management solution, and deploys other patches and updates as needed and/or
- Researches, designs, and tests computer software and software management tools to meet OSA needs and makes recommendations.
- Performs thorough preventive maintenance of computer equipment, fax machines, printers, etc. Contacts repair service vendors for support when necessary and coordinate the repairs.
- Troubleshoots network connectivity problems, and advises network operations staff of unresolved issues.
- Provides installation, upgrades, and support to maintain functioning of OSA specialized software, including but not limited to Commvault, Zoom, ExpoCAD, Microsoft Dynamics, Oxygen XML Editor, and others.
- Responsible for the safeguarding of mission critical, sensitive and confidential systems information. Insures a high level of internal control by establishing and monitoring security for access to data and the related system controls.
- Maintains workstation auditing information.
- Travels to support off-site meetings as needed and directed.
- Maintains relationships with appropriate outside vendors and technicians; primary contact with desktop hardware/software vendors.
- Participates in user group meetings and organizational team meetings; conducts relevant research.
- Coordinates and conducts staff training sessions on relevant topics.
- Creates and maintains detailed documentation on new and existing technologies and applications.
- Covers for and assists other PC LAN Administrator as needed, including rebuilding machines.
- Assists IT staff as needed.
- Performs other duties as directed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- S./B.A. degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or other applicable field, or equivalent technical school certification with 5+ years' experience.
- MCITP certification or equivalent preferred.
- At least two years' experience in supporting PC hardware and software in a corporate network environment.
- Microsoft Exchange experience with user and basic e-mail management of user accounts a plus.
- Training in Microsoft Windows and Office applications.
- Knowledge of Mac OS and iOS applications desirable.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong time management skills.
- Customer service oriented with a desire to help others is required.
- Strong initiative and follow-through on issues.
- Demonstrated skills in analyzing and solving PC hardware and software problems.
- Demonstrated technical competence in computer configurations.
- Ability to keep current with rapidly changing technologies.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to write technical instructions and documentation.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including written and oral communications.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently with little supervision.
- Ability to lift 35-50 lbs.
OSA offers a competitive salary and benefits. Please send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com.