We are expanding again! The Duke Department of Pediatrics is recruiting faculty at all levels to join our growing Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine. Candidates should be board-eligible or board-certified in Pediatric Emergency Medicine.
We offer two faculty models.
Clinician-educators focus primarily on patient care and bedside education of students and trainees. They have the option to work more and earn more. They do not have academic productivity expectations.
Academic faculty work a reduced clinical load but are expected to be academically productive through research, quality improvement or program development. Protected time is negotiated based upon interests, research training and prior productivity.
All PEM faculty have significant bedside contact time with trainees and medical students. In the course of providing state-of-the-art clinical care, we have received our Departments Division Teaching Award 6 of the past 9 years. We welcome faculty who love caring for kids and sharing that expertise and passion with learners at all levels.
Why PEM at Duke?
- You will join a tight knit, productive and stable group of PEM providers. Only two faculty have left over the past 15 years!
- Opportunities exist in virtually all aspects of PEM (e.g., EMS, disaster management, trauma, toxicology, quality improvement, patient safety, global health, etc.)
- The PED is an 18-bed unit within the Duke Emergency Department. Duke is a Level 1 Trauma Center. All pediatric medical and surgical subspecialties are immediately available.
- The Department of Pediatrics at Duke has a long history of excellence in patient care, graduate and undergraduate medical education, and clinical, laboratory and health services research.
- Duke Childrens Hospital is ranked among the nation's finest in the 2017-18 U.S. News & World Report's Best Children's Hospitals rankings in all ten specialties.
- The Department currently trains 75 residents and 60 subspecialty fellows. The Department of Emergency Medicine trains another 30 residents.
- The Department of Pediatrics ranked second nationally on the list of NIH funding for pediatric clinical science departments.
- Duke University is a virtual candy store of opportunities. Our Top 10 School of Medicine shares a beautiful campus with nationally ranked programs in Nursing, Business, Law, Divinity, Environment, Informatics, Biomedical Engineering and many others.
Why Durham, NC?
- Small city ease of living, college town vibe and big city amenities
- On virtually every best places to list published (live, work, start a business, eat--you name it)
- Jobs, jobs, jobs: three major universities, Research Triangle Park (the largest science park in the country), burgeoning tech industry (Red Hat, Lenovo), and consistently
- Southern Living called Durham the Souths Tastiest Town and it has become a nationally recognized Brewcation destination! The Durham Performing Arts Center is one of the most-attended theaters in the entire country (Hamilton just finished a 2 week run here).
- Affordable housing and quality schools of all shapes and sizes
- Mountains-to-sea outdoor opportunities and everything in between. Durham County has 68 parks and a 4200 acre NC State Park, so tons of green space.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individuals age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.