The Peer Specialist ensures the quality of care for consumers who are living with mental health problems, and provides harm reduction outreach and case management services.
- Interface with representatives from Probation/ Parole in order to encourage consumer compliance with requirements and facilitate communication.
- Act as an advocate for consumers as appropriate; encourage and support self- advocacy.
- Develop and facilitate a peer support group for agency consumers.
- Develop, with consumers, individualized strategies for reducing the negative consequences of drug use and not taking medication for mental illness.
- Provide outreach intervention and referral services through the distribution of materials, information, education and prevention messages to consumers in their homes and/or in group settings.
- Promote problem solving and decision making skill development, particularly in the areas of drug use, sexual risk reduction, and medical treatment.
Benefits Overview: We offer attractive compensation with comprehensive benefits including: Medical/Dental/Prescription/Vision/Life Insurance;403(b); Credit Union; FSAs; Short-and-Long-Term Disability; Transportation Plan; Generous Paid Vacations and Holidays
- Graduated of Howe the Harp or other Peer Specialist training program.
- High School degree preferred.
- CASAC credential a plus.
- Bilingual skills preferred.
- Knowledge of and commitment to Harm Reduction Model is required.
SUS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Services for the UnderServed (S:US) believes every New Yorker has the right to lead a life of purpose. Since 1978, S:US has been turning this belief into reality by advocating for people with life circumstances marked by homelessness, intellectual/developmental disability, behavioral health and addiction challenges, poverty, criminal justice involvement, and trauma. Our dedicated workforce of 2,400 provides services and supports to transform the lives of 35,000 individuals and families in New York City and Long Island. Learn more about S:US, our mission, and values by visiting sus.org.
Benefits Overview: We offer attractive compensation with comprehensive benefits including: Medical/Dental/Prescription/Vision/Life Insurance; 403(b); Credit Union; FSAs; Short-and-Long-Term Disability; Transportation Plan; Generous Paid Vacations and Holidays