Wagner & Zwerman LLP is a dynamic, mid-size public accounting firm located in Melville, Long Island and due to our firm’s continuous growth, we are looking for a Per Diem Personal Tax Preparer to join our stellar team of professionals during the busy tax season. This person will be responsible for assisting clients by using out of the box tax thinking and using all legal and accepted means to reduce a client’s tax liability.
This position has career growth potentialif you can provide timely, accurate and reliable completion of client engagements, while ensuring delivery is consistent with partner and client expectations. This role requires the ability to create raving fans of our clients by asking the right questions, being an excellent listener and communicator, and providing creative solutions through targeted resources and your technical expertise.
If you are self-motivated, professional, and interested in working in a growing company, then this position is for you!
What are the Essential Functions of the job?
- Work with clients to obtain additional information on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances.
- Use all appropriate adjustments, deductions, and credits to keep clients' taxes to a minimum.
- Prepare or assist in preparing simple to complex tax returns for individuals.
- Compute taxes owed or overpaid and complete entries on forms, following tax form instructions and tax tables.
- Furnish taxpayers with sufficient information and advice to ensure correct tax form completion.
- Check data input or verify totals on forms prepared by others to detect errors in arithmetic, data entry, or procedures.
- Consult tax law handbooks or bulletins to determine procedures for preparation of atypical returns.
- Answer questions and provide future tax planning to clients.
- Review financial records such as income statements and documentation of expenditures to determine forms needed to prepare tax returns.
- Explain federal and state tax laws to individuals and companies.
What are the requirements?
- Minimum Education:
- 4-year degree in Accounting/Taxation
- Required Experience:
- 2-3 years of public accounting experience
- Personal and trust tax experience, including projections, planning and analysis.
- Preferred Experience:
- Write ups, preparation of business financial statements, preparation of business returns and projection.
Any other qualifications that WZ is looking for?
- Self-motivation and discipline to regularly set and achieve work goals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain a professional, positive, and affable demeanor, as well as a sense of humor, under pressure and to a variety of people.
- Ability to juggle competing demands and priorities and manage time well (both self and others) even when time is short.
- Excellent communication skills, with ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing, as well as proofread and edit documents for grammar and readability.
- Dependability and outstanding organizational ability with focused attention to detail and follow through.
- Ability to use strong judgment in making independent decisions that affect others.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite – including strong Outlook – as well as proficiency using Gmail, Google Drive, and both Mac and PC products and applications).
Who is WZ?
For over 55 years, Wagner & Zwerman LLP has been providing quality accounting and financial services to clients across the globe. Today, WZ provides their clients with services that follow “The WZ Way” – an uncommon, refreshing way of viewing a client’s financials with the client’s best interests in mind.
Check out their website, but you have to come back here to apply to this job!
Why would I want to work for WZ?
Most accounting firms are about the numbers, financial statements, tax filings… it’s true. WZ is also about the numbers. That’s where most accounting firms end. For WZ, it’s just the beginning! WZ believes that the professional and personal success of their employees directly translates to the success of the business.
Working at WZ provides unlimited growth potential along with a competitive compensation and benefits package. They also offer flexible hours to accommodate a work-life balance. The WZ office is brand new with state-of-the-art technology and the building offers a restaurant and a gym.