Director of Surgery/Perioperative Services
- This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the Mission of SGVMC. It is expected that the employee demonstrate behavior consistent with the Core Values. The employee shall support SGVMC’s strategic plan and the goals and direction of the performance Improvement Plan (PIP).
Manages and ensures the day to day operation of the following departments:
- Provides nursing care and role models professional nursing practice in accordance with San Gabriel Valley Medical Center standards and standards of The Joint Commission.
- Maintains shift line management and responsibility in administration of personnel, fiscal, and material resources.
- Creatively responds to changes in the work setting.
- Participates in program planning for new projects while maximizing the throughput of the perioperative service line; to include preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative clinical areas.
- Knowledgeable in clinical areas of supervision, using defined processes to establish goals and outcomes, which reflect systems integrations in today’s dynamic health care environment.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for keeping current in knowledge and liabilities essential to the role. Accountable to the Director of Perioperative Services for overall work performance.
- Staffing Responsibilities
- Registered Nurses
- Surgical Technicians
- Equipment Technicians
- Sterile Processing Technicians
- Sterile Processing Staff
- Implements and monitors compliance to patient care and professional standards established by the department of nursing, state law and regulatory agencies.
- Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN) Guidelines
- Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) recommended practices standards in collaboration with nursing staff, surgeons, and other appropriate resources and monitor’s compliance.
- Assigns the nursing care of each patient to personnel in accordance with the patient’s needs and the specialized qualifications and competence of the nursing staff available.
- Evaluates the nursing care delivery system utilizing a variety of techniques such as:
- Consultation with patient and health care providers.
- Efficient use of resources.
- Ensures Patient Satisfaction
- Enforces regulatory standards in areas of supervision and implements in-service programs to support and comply with these standards.
- Is accountable to the Director of Perioperative Services for the daily operating expenses based on the needs of the units’ departmental policies and goals.
- Maintains personnel expenses within unit budgetary expectations
- Monitors daily schedule to identify and reports and analyzes trends and takes action appropriately
- Collaborates with surgeons, anesthesia, quality and risk management and executive administration to increase satisfaction with the operating room:
- Maintaining equipment
- Maintaining staffing
- Hiring and effective counseling/coaching
- Staff development
- Expected deliverables
- Patient, surgeon and anesthesia satisfaction
- Collaborates in development and implementation of cost containment strategies: educates unit personnel on their role in controlling costs.
- Develops unit staffing patterns and time scheduling practices which:
- Facilitate the delivery of consistent and efficient nursing care
- Comply with budgetary constraints and applicable policies/regulatory agencies according to individual patient acuity
- Staff development and staff education
- Participates on various committees in accordance with the Director of Perioperative Services
- Demonstrates effective use of verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills.
- Establishes and maintains effective formalized communication systems for information sharing, planning and problem solving with:
- Unit staff
- Director of Perioperative Services
- Medical Staff
- Other departmental personnel
- Communicates pertinent information to and from committees and/or groups to unit staff, peers and nursing administration
- Works cooperatively/collaboratively with physicians to establish and maintain their practice, clinical requirements, and effectively manage the physician practice needs.
- Coordinates with physicians and their practice; Assures the availability of necessary equipment, supplies, and instrumentation is established and continually managed.
- In collaboration of the Director and current employees practices (including the policies of the nursing and human resources departments and agreement:
- Interviews and employs personnel
- Supervises and evaluates personnel performance
- Initiates corrective action and discipline, as appropriates.
- Develops, coordinates and continually evaluates the department orientation programs.
- Monitors the progress of new employees throughout the orientation phase and assists in adapting the program as necessary to meet individual and unit needs.
- Creates an environment and culture that enables delivery of high quality patient care.
- Develops and implements plans to meet staff learning needs, in collaboration with appropriate resources
- Support Nursing Department strategies to effect recruitment and retention.
- Participates in unit based, departmental, and hospital-wide committees as required by the Director of Perioperative Services.
- Utilizes direct patient care experiences to maintain clinical knowledge and skill, and to evaluate the quality of care, personnel, and administrative functioning of the unit.
- Participates in the development and implementation of unit, nursing, departmental goals and objectives.
- Supports the goals, values, and objectives of the hospital and maintains the standards for service excellence.
- Promotes the image of nursing through professional, political and/or community activities.
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; AND
- Bachelor Degree in Nursing or field related to Healthcare.
- Two years previous experience in operating room nursing
- One year of progressive leadership experience which may include a combination of charge nurse, OR educator, service line leader, etc.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) preferred.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) required.
- Computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office suite required.
- Certified Nurse Operating Room (CNOR) Certification preferred.