The YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles is not only the premiere non-profit in Los Angeles, it is also a great place to work, make a difference in your community and meet like-minded individuals. With twenty-six branches, three camps and over fifty child care sites, the LA Y is a highly-collaborative, rewarding and fun environment where you will discover your passion, grow your career and make an impact!
We believe in the four Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility and understand that our staff are our biggest asset! We strive to create high-performing, strong teams in each of our branches and are looking for passionate and enthusiastic staff who will help us to strengthen our impact, empower our community and deliver incredible programming!
The YMCA Personal Trainer is responsible for creating welcoming and supportive environments while providing customized fitness programs for members. Responsibilities include working one-on-one with members, providing personal attention and motivation, instructing members on proper exercise techniques, and designing fitness programs to help members achieve their unique health and fitness goals.
- Eighteen years of age or older
- High school diploma; Bachelor's degree in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, or a related field preferred
- CurrentCPR certification;
- Personal training certificate from a nationally accredited certifying organization (e.g. NASM, NSCA, NCCPT, ACE, AFAA, and ACSM) required. Certifications must be current at time of hire.
- As current non-Y certifications lapse and/or require renewal/recertification via CEC's through a 3rd party vendor (whether ACSM, NSCA, AFAA, Pilates, or other) staff may keep those certifications current at their own expense.
- If staff choose not to keep their non-Y certifications current, as a condition of employment to continue to work for the Y, staff will be required to complete the Y-ACE certifications.
- Y-ACE has an equivalency certification provision. Anyone holding an equivalent certification from another recognized entity can apply for an equivalency.
- Strong character values
- Experience working in the fitness industry; at least 1 year of experience working with participants on a one-on-one basis, preferred
- Create a welcoming environment in all YMCA program areas taking time to talk to members and enthusiastically greet them by name with a smile and eye contact.
- Conduct personal training appointments with members to help them develop and meet their fitness goals. Ensure that a client inquiry or follow-up is conducted within 24 hours of receiving a referral. Inform supervisor of client's initial start date.
- Design personalized programs for members that are customized to meet the unique needs of each member.
- Motivate and encourage members to meet fitness goals; track member progress and modify fitness routines/plans as necessary.
- Confirm member appointments and member follow-up as required.
- Design a safe and effective 30-minute to 1 hour fitness program. For example: Create a safe
environment by providing individual instruction to members. Demonstrate proper technique and
adjust machine weights, and cardiovascular equipment as appropriate.
- Proactively connect and monitor members to develop, and support the achievement of their goals
for healthy living, and matching members' interests to YMCA programs.
- Responsible for building small communities by facilitating connections with and between members.
- Respond promptly and courteously to all member complaints, compliments and inquiries while
following the appropriate procedures at all times.
- Actively interact with members regarding their participation in YMCA programs, Annual Support
Campaign and Special Events.
- Provide clear and effective communication with members, staff and the general public. This includes
session cancelation, rescheduling of any kind and/or anything related to the client, maintaining a
Administration & Compliance
- Monitor fitness room to ensure equipment is functioning, put away and clean.
- Model and enforce Code of Conduct, Healthy Living Policies, and administrate member issues as they
arise. Positively interpret these policies to members.
- Follows the programs administrative process utilizing the tools and resources provided to maintain
all record keeping per session per participant is accurate and current.
- Ensure that any paperwork is completed within 5 minutes after the client's allotted session.
- Properly inform clients that all payments are to be made at the Welcome Center.
- Information is organized and participants stay engaged in the program.