Under the direct supervision of the Wellness Coordinator, the Personal Trainer prescribes, develops, and assists clients with personalized fitness programs.
- Design and implement safe, effective, and enjoyable fitness programs that meet the unique needs and wants of each member. Keep accurate records of members' progress. Monitor proper executions, form and technique when demonstrating exercises
- Plan and instruct individuals, small groups, or classes with personalized approach following YMCA standards and guidelines.
- Contact clients on a regular basis to follow-up on progression of their fitness program.
- Arrive promptly for their clients, act professionally and dress according to the requirements: uniform shirt, neat shorts or warm-up pants, sneakers and YMCA name tag.
- If unable to make an appointment with a referral, contact client directly
- Discuss and promote all other YMCA programs
- Motivate members to commit to long term participation
- Respond to and report accidents and/or incidents to supervisor immediately.
- Interact with members that aren’t current clients. Assist with machine usage, appropriate exercise advice – do not give advice that you are not absolutely SURE is safe and appropriate.
- Make sure that first time users are encouraged to go through the orientation process. ALL members must fill out the medical form. If you feel that there is a medical condition that requires further investigation or physician’s approval, refer it to supervisor.
- Be aware of signs that equipment may be in need of maintenance. If the equipment is not functioning properly, place an out of order sign on it and inform supervisor.
- Ensure all participants wear appropriate exercise attire and footwear
- Make sure all equipment is put away correctly following your sessions. This includes proper restacking of weights.
- Attend regularly scheduled, mandatory staff meetings.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s job to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time
- Successfully complete Association’s background screening requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of exercise equipment, general weight lifting, health and wellness and the ability to demonstrate exercises.
- Adhere to drug/alcohol/smoke free workplace policy
CERTIFICATIONS AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be 18 years of age
- Current Personal Training certification from a nationally recognized organization
- CPR/ First Aid/AED Certifications required
- Annual completion of YMCA Blood Borne Pathogens training
- Annual completion of YMCA Child Sexual Abuse Prevention training
- One year or more of experience in fitness.
- Additional training classes as recommended by Supervisor