Under the direction of the Director of Healthy Lifestyles, the Personal Trainer I is responsible for providing high quality personal exercise training, as well as small group training,and conducting physiologically sound, effective and fun training sessions by providing excellent leadership, up-to-date quality instruction and high energy motivation. A key job element is to provide leadership through outstanding customer service to YMCA members and participants. As well he/she must screen individuals' medical histories and current health status to identify major health risk factors; administers fitness assessments and counsels individuals regarding assessment results.
- Teach effective, safe, and enjoyable trainings using proper exercise progressions and cueing techniques
- Instruct trainings following program guidelines
- Adapt training level to meet the objectives of the participants/Offer a variety of intensity modifications as needed
- Provide clear explanations and exercise material with proper form and technique
- Develop friendly, professional relationships with members and participants
- Remain alert and attentive to all participants in the wellness center
- Use appropriate music, tempo, and selection if using music
- Encourage member involvement and support and promote other YMCA classes
- Identify potential YMCA volunteers
- Relay YMCA policies, programs, and event information to participants
- Operate all equipment properly and promptly report any problems
- Perform routine maintenance of equipment
- Follow all YMCA policies, rules, regulations, and procedures, including emergency procedures.
- Maintain required certifications
- Current national certification from ACE, ACSM, AFAA, YMCA, NSCA, NETA, WITS, ISSA, AAPTE, IFPA, NASM, NCCPT, NCSF, NESTA, NFPT, or Cooper Institute
- Must possess current CPR Pro/AED, First Aid, and Oxygen Administration.
- Must obtain Child Abuse Prevention, Blood borne Pathogens, Preventing Slips, Trips, and Falls, and Hazard Communications certifications within association timeline.
- Must obtain and remain compliant with all training standards assigned by the YMCA of the USA and AMA YMCA.
- Ability to effectively communicate with members, staff, peers, volunteers, and supervisor; ability to effectively communicate information on YMCA health and wellness programs.
- Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
- Must have a valid driver's license or state issued ID
- Must pass Criminal Background Check and MVR- Motor Vehicle (must have insurable driver's record)
- Up to 1 yearof experience teaching fitness classes/personal training
- Flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends