Position Summary: ThePet Caregiver will work within a team setting to oversee the health, well-being, and general care of the pets at the Best Friends - New York Pet Adoption Center and help to facilitate pet adoptions. Specific duties include but are not limited to working as a member of the Adoption Center team to ensure that the daily feeding, cleaning, medicating and enrichment of our pet population is done in accordance with schedules and protocols. The Pet Caregiver will also process adoptions and train and oversee Best Friends - New York volunteers.
Essential and Primary Duties/Responsibilities Include:
- Performing and ensuring daily feeding, cleaning, medicating and enrichment of our pet population are done in accordance to time frames and protocols.
- Monitoring pet eating habits, behavior and medical habits/issues and ensuring documentation is given to the Pet Adoption Center Manager, and the Pet Caregiver Lead.
- Supporting the kitten nursery, bottle feeding or tube feeding as required.
- Maintaining accurate, organized, up-to-date records for all the pets in the building including up-to-date and correct pet suite cards and locations.
- Providing pet information to the public and helping potential adopters with "Meet 'n Greets."
- Working positively with adoption team to promote pets to potential adopters.
- Performing inventory of all pet food, medical supplies, dry storage and cleaning supplies as well as daily pet population inventories as instructed by the PAC Manager and the Pet Caregiver Lead.
- Reporting all maintenance/repair issues to manager or lead.
- Ensuring all pets have accurate information and quality photos appropriately placed to clearly identify them. Advising supervisor if anything is missing or inaccurate.
- Assisting with writing "bios" for cats in the adoption program.
- Other duties as assigned by the PAC Manager and the Pet Caregiver Lead.
- Facilitating the complete adoption process including full counseling and clerking duties according to Best Friends standards and philosophy to include but not limited to: surveys, checklists, agreements, medical records, health certificates, adoption follow-ups, written correspondence, email, and phone calls.
- In collaboration with the adoption specialists and Center Manager, performing intake exams for verification of health and behavior wellness as well as data entry of history in the population inventory software on both cats and dogs as outlined in Admissions Protocol for both Best Friends Animal Society and Best Friends - New York coalition animals and following all procedure through the adoption process as indicated in said protocol.
- Ensuring prompt response to client inquiries, including but not limited to: answering the phone and basic questions from the public and appropriately directing calls to other team members when relevant, checking voice mail messages and overseeing call backs and information is delivered to appropriate staff as well as responding to general email inquiries.
Required skills and experience:
- 1 year previous experience working with cats and dogs highly preferred. Must be able to work with all cats and dogs, including those with health concerns/conditions as well as behavior conditions. Adoption experience also preferred.
- Must have the ability to make decisions on behalf of the organization and coalition members as to approval of animals into adopted homes.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, positive, personable, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, and uses tact and diplomacy.
- Resourceful, roll up the sleeves attitude. The successful candidate must have the initiative to resolve problems and seek answers independently and enthusiastically demonstrate flexibility to persist until goals are achieved.
- Knowledgeable of breeds, care giving, and characteristics of animals.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office, Internet, PetPoint shelter software, Google docs and mail.
- Customer service experience preferred.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- Experience interacting with the general public and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to travel on organization business.
- Must be able to routinely lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including, but not limited to: lifting and carrying, reaching, climbing ladders, stooping, squatting, cleaning and bending.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Effectively handle all species of animals with a variety of temperaments.
- Standing and walking for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Long exposure on a daily basis to cats of all temperaments and medical conditions.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: includes weekends, night, and holiday work.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.dog caregiver, cat caregiver, animal adoption, animal rescue, animal welfare, animal shelter