Location: Los Angeles, CA
Position Summary: The Pet Caregiver will work within a team setting to oversee the health, well-being, and general care of the pets at the NKLA Pet Adoption Center and help to facilitate pet adoptions.
Essential and Primary Duties/Responsibilities Include:
- Perform and ensure daily feeding, cleaning, medicating and enrichment of the pet population are done in accordance to time frames and protocols.
- Monitor pet eating habits, behavior, and medical habits/issues and ensure documentation is given to the Pet Adoption Center Manager or Lead Pet Care Giver.
- Maintain accurate, organized, up-to-date records for all the pets in the building.
- Assist with writing "bios" for all animals in the adoption program.
- Ensure facility signage and animal inventory are up-to-date including accurate kennel cards on animal kennels, real-time updates to the shared online kennel map, and expedited updates to the shelter software location option.
- Assist the public with providing information on the pets and help potential adopters with "Meet 'n Greets."
- Work positively with the Adoptions Team to promote pets to potential adopters.
- Conduct handling of adoption center dogs and/or prospective adopter's dog(s) for animal introductions.
- Perform inventory of all pet food, medical supplies, dry storage and cleaning supplies.
- Report all maintenance/repair issues to manager or lead.
- Work closely with and supervise volunteers.
- Communicate clearly to staff and volunteers.
- Be attentive to others' needs and willingly assist as required.
- Assist other team members with their work.
- Identify & report improvement to cleaning procedures and caretaking responsibilities to Lead or Manager.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the NKLA Pet Adoption Center Manager and the Lead Pet Caregiver.
- Facilitate the complete adoption process including full counseling and clerking duties according to Best Friends standards and philosophy to include but not limited to: surveys, checklists, agreements, medical records, health certificates, adoption follow-ups, written correspondence, email, and phone calls.
- In collaboration with the Lead Pet Caregiver and Admissions Specialist, perform intake exams for verification of health and behavior wellness, as well as data entry of animals' history in the shelter software.
- Fulfill client service and administrative duties including, but not limited to: answering the phone and basic questions from the public, appropriately directing calls to other team members when relevant, checking voice mail messages, ensuring call-backs and information is delivered to appropriate staff, and responding to general email inquiries as necessary
Required skills and experience:
- Previous experience handling cats and dogs in a shelter environment strongly preferred.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' mission and position on animal welfare issues.
- Strong desire to work with cats and dogs.
- Demonstrate approachability when dealing with the general public. Experience in interacting with the general public (client service) preferred.
- Willing to work on weekends/holidays/varying shift times.
- Comfortable handling cats and dogs with behavioral issues which may include shyness, fearfulness, and reactivity.
- Must be able to work with all cats and dogs, including those with health concerns/conditions and all sizes, breeds, and energy levels.
- Demonstrate personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings, and perspectives of others.
- Appropriate, clear, and concise written and verbal communication skills with strong listening skills.
- Knowledgeable of breeds, care giving, and characteristics of animals.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Basic computer skills necessary including checking e-mails, Google calendar, Google shared documents, and shelter software/online database usage.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a preferred.
- Experience interacting with the general public and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to travel on organization business.
- Must be able to routinely lift 60 pounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including, but not limited to: lifting and carrying, reaching, climbing ladders, stooping, squatting, cleaning and bending.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Standing and walking for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Long exposure on a daily basis to cats and dogs of all temperaments, sizes, and medical conditions.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.