The Pet Food Food Safety, Quality and Regulatory (FSQR) Supervisor is responsible for leading the planning, development and maintenance of food safety and quality systems at a facility. This role is ultimately responsible for assuring that all final product shipments meet or exceed customer requirements, facilities are compliant to internal policies and external regulations, and the continuous improvement of the food safety and quality system. This role is a key member of a site’s leadership team contributing positively and where appropriate holding the facility accountable for their food safety and quality management system. As part of their role the FSQR Facility Supervisor will maintain and grow a robust food/feed safety and quality culture in their facility, which includes frequent interactions with key stakeholders at the facility. This role supports food safety and quality issues, which includes leading root cause analysis and sustainable corrective action implementation. This role will interact with customers, regulators, suppliers and other key internal and external stakeholders.
40% People and Resource Management – Leads talent management of employees in the site FSQR team and accountable for the selection, training, development, performance management, staff organization and engagement of direct reports and oversees the same activities for indirect reports. Develops and implements short range (tactical) FSQR plan in alignment with business and local requirements. Actively participates in the development and implementation of regional FSQR initiatives.
30% Perform Prevention Activities and Issue Resolution - Assumes ultimate accountability for compliance to all food/feed safety and quality regulations, policies, standards and practices across a facility. Monitors regulatory activities, plant compliance with regulatory food/feed safety & sanitation standards and acts as a liaison for the business with external regulatory authorities. Acts as an interface between our customers and the facility to review product performance, conduct quality and food/feed safety audits, review 3rd party certifications and respond to customer questions and complaints. Proactively identifies and anticipate potential risk and takes action to prevent food/feed safety and quality issues.
15% Develop, Implement and Assess Process and Systems – Analyzes reviews and interprets FSQR policies, regulations, and customer and supplier standards for a location. Plans, coordinates and directs all quality, regulatory and food/feed safety programs and management of change programs. Implements product specification systems and drives continuous improvement in the areas of processes and customer focus. Provides input to location leaders related to base and non-base capital expenditures necessary for achieving/maintaining industry leadership position in the food/feed safety and quality areas.
15% Shape Food Safety, Quality and Regulatory Culture and Reputation
Interfaces cross functionally within a location to build and maintain an effective food safety, quality and regulatory culture. Represents FSQR as part of the location management team. Collaborates with FSQR peers across the business group. Acts as a liaison between customer and operations to ensure the customer’s quality standards and expectations are met.
This role allows an individual to develop strong working relationships with many stakeholders across the business group, where influence and focused guidance is critical. This role will need to exercise the following core leadership capabilities: building trust, communicating effectively, influencing, thinking strategically, learning oriented, driving results, global perspective, innovation, customer focus and developing others.
Travel will be about 10% and primarily domestic. However, candidate must be able to travel internationally if needed. Position will perform audits and inspections in diverse environments, including that of a production environment where physical activity is required (Light: Exerting up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally and/or 10 lbs. of force frequently). Position will be interacting with laboratories and sanitation chemicals.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in science, chemistry, microbiology, quality assurance or other applicable field
• 3-5 years of working experience in a technical related field such as plant operations food safety and/or quality assurance
• Experience with food manufacturing environments, preferably in dry food processing
• Experience interacting with external stakeholders (i.e. certifying bodies, suppliers, external manufacturers, customers, etc.)
• Able to travel when needed and work nights, weekends when necessary.
• Ability to relate technical knowledge to solve complex testing and process problems
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to prioritize and manage a large workload with multiple priorities
• Ability to translate and communicate analytical data and technical knowledge to technical and non-technical stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability of leadership, motivation, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork and successful completion of work
• Ability to make decisions under pressure
• Demonstrated project management skills
• Ability to adapt and learn in a changing work environment
• Ability to effectively communicate with diverse groups of people within and outside of reporting relationships
• Computer proficiency (i.e., Word, PowerPoint, Internet, etc.)
• Must have good time management skills and the ability to organize own work
• 8 or more years of working experience with 4 or more years in a technical related field such as plant operations food safety and/or quality assurance
• Experience and knowledge in Pet processing and manufacturing (mixing, extrusion, salmonella controls-environmental and Finished Food Testing)
• Animal food/feed knowledge, especially pet food
• Laboratory knowledge, including Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and instrumentation
• Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certification and/or Lean Six Sigma Black Belt training
• Statistical Process Control (SPC) experience
• Enablon software experience
• GFSI (Global Food Safety Initiative) knowledge and experience