Hennepin Healthcare is an integrated system of care that includes HCMC, a nationally recognized Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center and acute care hospital. The comprehensive healthcare system includes a 484 bed academic medical center, a large outpatient Clinic & Specialty Center, and a network of primary and specialty care clinics in Minneapolis and in suburban communities. Hennepin Healthcare has a large psychiatric program, home care and hospice, and operates a research institute, innovation center and philanthropic foundation.
Current vacancy is full-time with benefits, rotating day/evening/night shift and every 4th weekend. Hybrid Inpatient & Community Pharmacist.
Responsible for the filling and dispensing of medication orders including the proper handling, usage, and storage of drugs in the pharmacy. Maintains standards set by the department and translates policies and procedures into the daily operation of the pharmacy. Responsible for acting as an information resource to patients, physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals regarding medication therapy and drug related information and literature. Plans and organizes work schedule of supportive personnel and pharmacists, as required. Supports the values of the organization by demonstrating personal responsibility, respect for self and others, innovation through teamwork, dedication to caring, and excellence in customer service.
- Prepares, compounds and accurately dispenses medications
- Responsible for interpretation of physician medication orders for accuracy and appropriateness, informing them of any errors, omissions, or discrepancies and, based on an evaluation of the patient's condition, suggests appropriate or alternate drug therapy to the physician
- Responsible for maintaining accurate and proper patient medication profiles, monitoring to insure the proper choice of drug, dosage form, strength, length of therapy and interaction potential of the prescribed drug
- Monitors patient reactions to drug therapy
- Responsible for the dispensing, control and record keeping of all controlled substances
- Serves as information resource person to medical personnel
- Responsible for counseling of patients about their prescriptions
- Responsible for maintaining a working knowledge of, and conforming to legal requirements, department policies and procedures concerning the distribution of drugs, as well as good working knowledge of recent developments in the field of pharmacy
- Assumes "charge pharmacist" responsibilities as required, for the coordination of pharmacists and supportive personnel, assigning work and delegating tasks and responsibilities, and for handling problems that arise during the absence or unavailability of the manager
- Responsible for conducting in-service education lectures for medical staff, nurses, pharmacists, students, and other health care personnel regarding drugs, procedures, and policies
- Supports and assists the pharmacist supervisors, managers and directors to integrate departmental and organizational goals into department’s activities
- Provide continuous, patient specific assessment of the pharmacotherapy needs of a patient population, making real time interventions with the medical staff and nursing staff to facilitate optimal drug therapy and facilitate the provision of other pharmacy services
- Be able to critically evaluate and interpret medical information when providing specific information to physicians
- Assists in supervising and training of pharmacy technicians, pharmacy interns and support staff
- May precept Fellows, Residents or PharmD student rotations
- Performs related work as required
- Graduation from college with a degree in Pharmacy
- Possession of a valid license to practice pharmacy in the State of Minnesota
- Advanced degree or enrollment in advanced degree program
- Minimum of one to three years experience as a registered pharmacist in a hospital
- ASHP accredited residency preferred
- Excellent problem-solving & communication skills (verbal & written)
- Must be a self-starter, able to work under pressure and be flexible in setting priorities
- Ability to do accurate, detailed analysis of complex information and issues is essential
- Extremely strong customer service orientation
- Effectively interacts with team members and other departments
- Adaptable to changing priorities, tasks, and work schedules to meet customer service standards
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin Healthcare for your employment. We offer a wealth of opportunities for individuals who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to both current and prospective employees. We are driven to connect talented individuals with life-changing career opportunities, enabling you to provide exceptional care without exception. Thank you for considering Hennepin Healthcare as a future employer.
Please Note: Offers of employment from Hennepin Healthcare are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background checks and pre-employment requirements.