The ICOM Biomedical Sciences Department is looking for applications towards a full-time, 12-month position responsible for education in pre-clinical didactic and active learning educational programs at ICOM. The primary responsibilities include teaching in the area of medical pathology in large and small group learning environments. Additionally, the ideally experienced candidate will assist the Department Chair and colleagues in the following areas: (1) innovative curriculum development that integrates the different biomedical basic science disciplines with the medical specialty areas and (2) planning, directing and implementing active case-based learning, problem-based learning, and team-based learning activities.
Typical responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Teaching osteopathic medical students didactic course materials in Pathology
- Advising and mentoring professional students
- Serving the academic mission of the College by serving on strategic institutional committees and using academic expertise to serve your discipline and professional community
- Scholarly activities: including but not limited to any of the following: educational research in the area of medical education and/or faculty development; independent scientific research program to add knowledge to the field; clinical or translational research
ICOM is unable to sponsor employment visas as this time.
- Terminal degree (PhD, or equivalent) in the areas of pathology or closely related field
- Minimum of 2 years teaching experience in a health sciences academic setting
- Evidence of being a dynamic team player who values collaboration, collegiality, mutual support and team cohesion
- Commitment to delivering high quality, innovative pathology education to future physicians
- Demonstrated passion for teaching and mentoring in the field of medical pathology
- Experience using innovative teaching methods which might include team-based learning, ‘flipped classroom’, problem-based learning, distance learning, interactive large group presentation, audience response systems etc.
- Knowledge of instructional technologies and familiarity with Learning Management Systems
- Experience with instructional design and curriculum mapping
- Experience in educational theory, evaluation, and learning assessment
- Proficiency in medical exam item writing (COMLEX-style and/or USMLE)
- Track record of scholarly activities (publications, presentations, grantsmanship, etc.)