BASIC PURPOSE AND ORGANIZATION
The Pharmacy Clerk-1, under the direct supervision of the pharmacist assists with the provision of quality pharmaceutical services. The Pharmacy Clerk-1 is expected to understand and support the Mission and Vision of St. Luke’s Hospital. The Pharmacy Clerk-1 is responsible for carrying out the philosophy and objectives as established by the Board of Directors and the Pharmacy Leadership Team.
The Pharmacy Clerk-1 reports to a designated Inpatient Pharmacy Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Pharmacy Clerk-I works under the supervision of a pharmacist and is responsible for providing timely and effective support services for the Pharmacy and its customers. Customers include pharmacy staff, inpatients and outpatients of all ages, hospital departments and contract hospitals. The Pharmacy Clerk-I works cooperatively with Pharmacy Management to identify additional duties or change of duties that would enhance pharmacy operation.
The Pharmacy Clerk-I:
- Maintains the required Pharmacy Technician registration and certification to meet Iowa Board of Pharmacy
- Transports IV solutions and bulk storage items, including the unloading, loading and shelving of such items.
- Assists with shelving of pharmaceutical supplies, rotation of inventory and checking for outdated inventory.
- Assists with the packaging of medications as assigned.
- Assists with the filing of pharmacy dispensation records.
- Assists with patient care medication storage inspections as assigned.( Ex. Area Checks)
- Responsible for receiving, preparation, labeling and distribution of pharmaceuticals; maintenance and filing of associated records in accordance with hospital policy and procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge of computer programs used in the department. Exhibits the knowledge to troubleshoot common problems with automated dispensing machines.
- Communicates effectively with staff, and customers to provide timely service, accurate information and reduce problems and minimize exceptions
- Removes HIPPA and recycle waste from pharmacy areas in accordance with hospital and pharmacy guidelines.
- Assists with the cleaning of shelves, counters, medication carts and fixtures assigned in pharmacy.
- Assists with the restocking of paper supplies in the department.
- Maintains assigned storage areas of the pharmacy in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Interacts with departmental staff and responds to requests in a pleasant, cooperatively and timely manner.
- Ensures acceptable service level by performing activities in an organized, productive and timely manner.
- Communicates with departmental staff or pharmacy management when problems or unusual circumstances arise.
- Assists with orientation and on - the - job training of new hires.
- Participates in quality improvement activities, including documentation, design, measurement, assessment and formulation of corrective action.
- Promotes the development, preparation, implementation and attainment of departmental goals, policies and projects.
- Understands and adheres to all safety practices while performing duties to minimize any risk of injury and / or exposure to hazardous material.
- Completes assignments with a minimum of supervision and guidance.
- Is aware of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of department or hospital administrative staff.
- Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of the hospital’s commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
- Performs other projects and duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE: An aptitude or interest in pharmacy or other health related fields is desirable. Must possess good communications skills. Must read, write, and speak fluent English.
MENTAL / COGNITIVE DEMANDS: Must be able to understand written, visual and other sensory stimuli. Must have ability to analyze written and spoken English. Must be able to cope effectively with multiple tasks and time constraints. Must be able to logically solve problems and follow written and verbal instructions.