To provide technical assistance in the dispensing of prescribed medications and pharmaceutical preparations.
MAJOR DUTIES / CRITICAL TASKS:
• Contributes to the success of UTMB HealthCare Systems.
• Retrieves and delivers patient medication orders and supplies.
• Prepares unit-dose medications specific to patient needs including patient’s weight, allergies, and age-specific grouping (i.e., pediatric, neonate, adolescent, adult, and geriatric).
• Performs medication order entry into the pharmacy computer system.
• Assists pharmacists in filling ambulatory prescriptions specific to patient needs including patient’s weight, allergies, and age-specific grouping.
• Assists in record keeping activities in any assigned area.
• Maintains adequate drug inventories in pharmacy areas and patient care areas.
• Compounds bulk and extemporaneous pharmaceuticals specific to patients needs including weight and age-specific grouping.
• Performs automated compounding repackaging and cart-fill.
• Prepares sterile products utilizing aseptic technique.
• Communicates effectively with other pharmacy employees, healthcare professionals, and patients while appropriately recognizing age (pediatric, neonate, adolescent, adult, and geriatric).
• Maintains a neat, clean and organized work area.
• Demonstrates flexibility in staffing assignments.
• Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure established for the department.
• Performs other related duties as required.
• Ability to effectively communicate verbally and/or in written form.
• Customer service orientation and values.
• Ability to negotiate solutions and outcomes.
• Team player.
• Ability to maximize people and financial resources.
• Ability to work in partnership with management and staff.
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
• High school or equivalent and two years experience required. Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) National Certification. Registered with the Texas State Board of Pharmacy as a Pharmacy Technician.
• Standard patient care supplies, pharmacy office equipment, and mechanical devices.
• Standard hospital pharmacy environment.
• Working with the public.
• Working weekends and shift rotation.
• May be required to work overtime and extended shifts during emergencies
• May require heavy lifting, pushing or pulling in excess of fifty pounds.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, utilize hand/ finger dexterity, and type on a computer keyboard. Specific vision abilities required by this job include regularly working on a Visual Display Terminal (VDT), close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Includes
intermittent physical activity such as bending, reaching and lifting up to 10 pounds.
• The employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
• Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.