Pharmacy Technician III – Pharmacy – Winter Park
AdventHealth Winter Park seeks to hire a Pharmacy Technician III who will embrace our mission to extend the healing ministry of Christ.
Nestled among the oak-shaded, brick-paved streets of one of the most picturesque hometowns in the country, Winter Park Memorial Hospital has continuously served the residents of Winter Park and its surrounding communities for more than 50 years. Chartered in 1951, the hospital has grown from the visionary efforts of a handful of Winter Park residents and community leaders, to a 307-bed acute care facility that is a model of community health and wellness. Over the years the hospital has continually expanded to meet the needs of the community, adding an upscale obstetrics and Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at The Dr. P. Phillips Baby Place, cancer care at the AdventHealth Cancer Institute, Winter Park, and state-of-the-art surgery, recovery and rehabilitation at the AdventHealth Orthopedic Institute. Together with the community we serve, we're building a model of community health and wellness for generations to come.
The Pharmacy Department is open 24 hours a day and is staffed with approximately 130 employees, including pharmacists, technicians, a medication safety coordinator, inventory control specialists, and an administrative coordinator. The entire pharmacy team works together to assure patients receive the highest quality pharmaceutical care possible. From our central pharmacy and 6 satellite pharmacy locations, we dispense 15,000 doses of medication daily. Through Cerner Millennium CPOE and Pharmacy management system, the Pharmacy processes more than 10,000 orders per day. Pyxis dispensing cabinets help distributes 90% of the medications for administration. The Pharmacy department manages a $55 million-dollar drug budget. Lexicomp serves as the system drug information
6:30-3P; Mon – Fri & every other weekend
The technician will be responsible for but not limited to the following: Assists the pharmacist with all duties of preparing and dispensing of medication. Prepares sterile products such as IV solutions, piggyback containers, and cytotoxic drugs, irrigations, TPN’s, epidurals, prefilled syringes, reconstituting of medications under aseptic conditions. Accurately reads and enters medication orders into the pharmacy information system. Keeps work area and equipment clean and neat. Helps with drug distribution Helps in the training of pharmacy technician I, II and newly hired pharmacy technicians. Accurately refills Pyxis MedStation; accurately conducts inventory of Pyxis MedStation and accurately loads and unloads medications to/from Pyxis as directed by the Director or Supervisor. Assists IV pharmacist with recording and distribution of large and small volume IV solutions. Performs all necessary tasks related to front reception area. Performs all duties necessary to provide for the effective daily operation of all department services and programs. Serves the needs of neonatal, pediatric, adult, adolescent, and geriatric patients. Specific age groups are identified in the position responsibilities. Handle a high volume of work with minimal direct supervision. Perform all level I and II job functions and maintains performance standards/expectations. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, & Experience Required:
- Starting January 1, 2011 must have 1500 hours work experience under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist or must have completed or be enrolled in a Board of Pharmacy approved training program
- Hospital experience as a technician (Preferred)
- Oncology admixture experience (Preferred)
- High School graduate or G.E.D. certification. (Preferred)
- Some knowledge of medical terminology. (Preferred)
- Must demonstrate skills in aseptic technique. (Preferred)
Licensure, Certification, or Registration Required:
- Must be registered with the State of Florida Board of Pharmacy as a Pharmacy Technician
- Current PTCB or ICPT certification (Preferred)
Demonstrates through behavior AdventHealth’s Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization’s Performance Excellence Program
- Consistently assist the pharmacists in all inpatient functions as needed. Develops and maintains the skills necessary to be functional in all areas of the pharmacy. Provides orientation and training to new technicians. Help motivate new technicians by demonstrating good work ethics, positive attitude and by recognizing and acknowledging the accomplishments of the new technician. Remains poised in high workload and emergency situations. Adapts positively to frequent interruptions and changes in workload and/or work schedule.
- Maintains accuracy in assisting pharmacists to ensure that all orders are processed, dispensed and delivered promptly. Always obtains pharmacists’ verification before distribution of any medication. Files physician's orders. Always follows correct procedure for filling, recording and distributing pharmacy trays.
- Mixes sterile products as required, using aseptic technique under the laminar flow hood. Follows clean room guidelines and accurately prepare IV solutions and other sterile products including chemotherapy and TPN. Cleans the laminar flow hood / chemo hood and work area thoroughly, wears appropriate attire and signs laminar flow hood / chemo hood. Contacts patient care areas regarding unclear, expensive, short dated or problem medication orders. Maintains current technician certification and provides documentation of attendance of at least one seminar on aseptic preparation of parenteral products and on safe handling of cytotoxic drugs yearly.
- Accurately performs various functions involved in Pharmacy Department. Prepacks oral solid/liquid medication into unit-dose packaging in accordance with procedures and guidelines. Maintains appropriate levels of control floor stock items and accurately replaces medications in Pyxis device. Carries out special projects or assignments as directed by supervisor. Takes initiative in finding work to be done when assigned tasks are completed.
- Screens and refers all incoming calls and department visitors to ensure that accurate and timely departmental communications are facilitated and that the department is presented in a positive manner.
- Understands the expectations and adheres to the department policy and procedures concerning responsibilities/functions of the technician in keeping pharmacy areas clean, stock, neat and well organized.
- Understands how to handle process and appropriately dispose of all waste materials, including all levels of hazardous waste, within the department. Appropriately uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and Chemo Spill Kits in the event of a cytotoxic spill.
- Employee will receive appropriate training in the handling of hazardous waste during initial training into the department; will receive an annual update thereafter.
- Demonstrates through behavior AdventHealth's core values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization's Performance Excellence Program booklet.
If you want to be a part of a team that is dedicated to delivering the highest quality in patient care, we invite you to explore the Pharmacy Technician III opportunity with Winter Park and apply online today.
Pharmacy Technician III, Pharmacy, Winter Park