The Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) collects, receives, processes, and distributes laboratory specimens. The CPT performs patient phlebotomy at different locations. The CPT communicates test results in the inter- and intra department as needed. The CPT helps to maintain equipment and supply par levels. The CPT maintains a working knowledge of departmental standard operating procedures. This knowledge includes the use of specialized equipment, patient identification and specimen labeling requirements, lab safety, and computer functions related to order and receipt of specimens. The CPT projects an image of professionalism in communication, appearance, and conduct, and supports the Laboratory mission. The CPT participates in the continuous quality improvement process. CPT II Duties at the Hoag Irvine location also includes the duties to coordinate functions in the reference lab department. This position acts as the Reference lab Coordinator. The coordinator is responsible for the Quality Assurance functions of the Reference department, integrates billing and invoice management functions, and assesses process improvement suggestions.
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of various phlebotomy techniques.
- Maintains aseptic techniques when collecting specimens and uses the appropriate technique when drawing blood. Labels specimen immediately after completion of the procedure.
- Disposes used needles and supplies in suitable containers.
- Demonstrates an understanding of laboratory tests, instruments, and supplies. Transports, labels, records, distributes, preserves, stores, and/or disposes of specimens appropriately.
- Cleans and/or sterilizes instruments, working areas, and supplies according to hospital policies.
- Maintains and orders supplies to keep materials on hand at all times.
- Checks package integrity and expiration dates for all supplies.
- Disposes of contaminated material in accordance with hospital policy.
- Assists with the care and maintenance of department equipment.
- Assists with the receipt, distribution, and storage of supplies.
- May assist in the guidance of less experienced phlebotomists.
- Performs more complex blood drawing techniques as assigned.
- Identifies sample integrity issues and brings to the attention of the CLS
- Must follow policies for all safety precautions including appropriate PPE at all times while handling patient samples
- Adding on new or missed tests including misc.
- Kit Preparation
- Test Cancellation
- Printing Packing lists for sample transport
- Efficiently uses the appropriate computer protocols specifically related to job duties.
- Provides general problem resolution and appropriate follow-up to clients and vendors as necessary
- Perform complex and difficult blood drawing techniques under specialized circumstances (such as blood drawing from patients with venous complications
- Communicates medical terminology accurately both verbally and in writing.
- Adapts to changes or unusual circumstances to promote cooperation and minimize disruption to the working environment.
- Responds in a calm manner appropriately to inquiries, complaints, and problems.
- Reports to the supervisor in a timely manner all "near misses", potential, and actual errors.
- Other Duties as Assigned.
- Actively participates in all department quality control measures.
- Takes appropriate action when corrections are indicated. Identifies patient samples by strict adherence to established procedures.
- Labels samples accurately and completely.
- Develops and maintains a professional working relationship with the entire care team as well as patients and their families.
- Communicates with courtesy, accuracy, and reverence for confidentiality.
Education and Trainin
- Maintains competency and actively participates in continuing education programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience:
- High school graduate or equivalence.
- Must meet and maintain the current State of California Certified Phlebotomy Technician I (CPTI) certification.
- 1 year of clinical healthcare experience or recent training through an approved CPT program.
- Previous experience with billing and registration preferred.
- Customer/Client Service experience
Skills or Other Qualifications:
- Knowledge and skills are necessary to provide age-specific care.
- Appropriate customer service and interpersonal skills.
License and Certifications:
- A valid current Certified Phlebotomy Technician I or II by the State of California